Ebay Headlamp sealing

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys, great site you all have here, I've learned a ton in the past few days.

2000 EX non Si

I need just a "little" help sealing my headlamps I purchased off of ebay. Now before you go flame the crap out of me for buying them, they were cheaper than OEM, they're blacked out like I want to do with my OEM, but this is my dd and I need headlamps on the car at all times.

I plan on trying the carbon overlay I saw on here on my OEM's soon.

But now I have read multiple times on here about the ebay headlamps leaking and fogging up. I'd like to prevent this as much as possible and I have read where people on here suggest to seal the headlamps. That is fine and I plan on utilizing that information before I install them, but what would you guys recommend to seal them with?

My local parts guy says he's heard of the same thing and to use 3M weather strip adhesive (which I was purchasing because of my door seals. I wasn't 100% on using that, and I know using shoe goo will discolor the plastic. but what do you guys use?

Also, and unrelated, is it possible to have a vtec engine without the badge's? My mechanic told me that the only thing that makes a vtec is a solenoid behind the VC? I frankly don't know and I do not have the vtec decals, or the VC on my car. So I was just wondering if my mechanic was full of crap?

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Don't use weather strip adhesive as it is REALLY gummy and does not work well for headlights. Advance Auto Parts should have an actual sealant for plastics that is gray in color. Don't use the red or black. You want it to be removable in the future if you ever want to crack them open again so things like "JB Weld" and other "plastic cements" are a no no.

If you have an EX, then it's a SOHC VTEC - Check your motor, should be "D16Y8" on the block.

Other than that, you may want to use the "SEARCH" function both here & honda-tech.com. Rather than waiting for someone to respond to these type of questions, you can search and find the answer much quicker.

Last edited:

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was searching on the headlamps, found the answer about sealing them tons of times, found what people were using to seal zero times lol

As for the engine, I should have searched, that's my bad =)

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
I just did my tail lights today (ebay) I used this

CLICK MEEEE

don't know if it's removable or not, didn't really care just didn't want moisture to seep in it easily. it's clear and worked well

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
hey guys, great site you all have here, I've learned a ton in the past few days.

2000 EX non Si

I need just a "little" help sealing my headlamps I purchased off of ebay. Now before you go flame the crap out of me for buying them, they were cheaper than OEM, they're blacked out like I want to do with my OEM, but this is my dd and I need headlamps on the car at all times.
lol. dont worry about getting flamed for buying ebay stuff, EVERYONE buys ebay stuff, even if they dont admit it lol.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thx for the thread, when i get my depo headlights i will do the same, is it possible to place a layer of clear window tint with UV protection to further help the lens avoid getting discolored???

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just did my tail lights today (ebay) I used this

CLICK MEEEE

don't know if it's removable or not, didn't really care just didn't want moisture to seep in it easily. it's clear and worked well
I have a tube of this at the house, like you I'm not to concerned if I can peel these ones apart. I wouldn't use this on my OEM ones but I think this should work.

lol. dont worry about getting flamed for buying ebay stuff, EVERYONE buys ebay stuff, even if they dont admit it lol.
Yeah I already made the mistake on a short intake. the tube has one hole, I need 2, plus the hole for the sensor lol. won't make that mistake again.