ECU problems

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK, I have a problem, mechanics are waiting ages for stuff and I just want to get a few things sorted.

Please tell me if any of these statements are incorrect.

1) ECU's are classed either non obd, obd1 obd2a or obd2b, no matter what car they came out of.
2) Each class of obd has a different set of connectors ie you can tell from the connectors what obd the ecu is.
3) Two different ecu's with the same connectors are the same obd and have the same pinout.

Both ecu's (and loom's) fit the second one down (obd2a)

My problem:

Still having a B16 swap being done, and when the time came, it didn't start. We found that the ecu wouldn't work. When my old ecu (P2E = 96 D16Y7 EJ6) plugged in the car started (albeit rough), with the P2T ecu (UKDM 99 VTi) (same connectors) plugged in the fuel pump primes but the injectors do not fire.

I still think this is an immobiliser issue, but they want to wait another week to get hold of another ecu, then play with the wiring, compare looms etc...

I have been through ff-squad.com and found pinouts, but only for each obd class so can I assume that as the connectors are the same the pinout is the same?

Is there a way to tell if the ecu was completely dead (the fact that everything else works make me belive that the ecu is ok, would there be a spark if the ecu was dead?)

If I open up the ecu, is there a way to tell if it has a immob or not? does anybody have a picture of a p2t with and without an immob?

And my biggest problem: I am not a car mechanic, I only read stuff on the internet. They are professional mechanics and according to them, they know best.

Sorry for being a pain and a nO0b.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
u see ur car started with the obd2a ecu..which is ur old one..
what year b16 is it??

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blazed said:
u see ur car started with the obd2a ecu..which is ur old one..
what year b16 is it??
It starts first time with the old ecu, but won't idle right.

I was told it was 1999, but I had my doubts. We compared with an EM1 and the engines are identical, same sensor wiring, same locations etc.. so I thought it was ok.

I just found this on http://www.phear7imports.net/trey/6gen/

** The 99-00 Si engine harness looks the same as the 96-98 but the ecu plugs are different and the interior harness (green plug by the ecu) is pinned differently. You can swap the 99-00 Si in a 96-98 EK and use the 99-00 Si engine harness and ecu but you will have some problems. I don't have experience with this swap. I'd recommend staying with the same year/ generation motor as your car for simplicity. A 99-01 B swap in a 99-01 EK is truly plug and play since the B16a2 came in a Civic**
but he doesn't explain the problems or fixes.

Thanks Blazed, I knew you'd be the first!!! ;)

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first and foremost we need to figure out what year ur motor is from..without that no matter what u try wont work right...
the problems they mention are things liek the motor no trunnign right rough idle etc..dsue to the different obd...

if it says on the block b16a23..then its definitely from 99-00...and u need to get ur hands on another ecu...
borrow one if u have to to just check if ur car fires up...maybe a friend with a b16?

ecu's are not that expensive so u can always grab one..or u can have ur current one chipped....

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
then its a obd2b..i would try and get my hands on another ecu...cause it seems urs is f**ked....
check around the local forums in UK...
i can tell u one forum here and i dunno if they have members in UK..but they deal with ecu stuff constatly..
its www.pgmfi.org

try to find some1 locally who deals with ecu's..they can open it up for u and check if its fried or what..or tell the shop to get u another...just for testing purposes atleast

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the help Blazed and io_303, i'll read through those links and try and get them to get another ecu.

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello again!

Put another ecu in (again p2t obd2a) and it still didn't work.

There are no cel's, green key light flashes four times when key turned to on, and flashes another four when turned to off. Is that normal?

** The 99-00 Si engine harness looks the same as the 96-98 but the ecu plugs are different and the interior harness (green plug by the ecu) is pinned differently. You can swap the 99-00 Si in a 96-98 EK and use the 99-00 Si engine harness and ecu but you will have some problems. I don't have experience with this swap. I'd recommend staying with the same year/ generation motor as your car for simplicity. A 99-01 B swap in a 99-01 EK is truly plug and play since the B16a2 came in a Civic**
Can anybody elaborate on the problems this person is hinting at?

Thanks

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good old Honda sorted it out. It was the immobiliser and they have now coded the key to ecu now.

Now its thowing cels at us!!! Its all fun, but at least it now starts!!!

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good to hear bro ;)
enjoy her :thumbs up

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol compard ot ur old motor..for sure :thumbs up

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cels sorted now (7 and 23), but it is running lean and vtec is very weak (can hear crossover bareley if you know when it is coming, and there is no noticable gain in power) Are B16 and D16 injectors the same size? because I think they reused my old D16 ones, would that account for it?