ECU removal

Milo-r86

Hello there I'm looking for help or advices I have a 2000 Honda civic ex coupe and I'm gonna be replacing the stock ECU with a chipped/tuned one but I've never messed with that...some people say it's difficult to remove some others say it's easy I need to know for sure the steps and the location or whatever that can help me please...thank you.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pop off the kick panel underneath the passenger dash on the side, unbolt it, unplug the harness. Done.

Just a heads up though, if your car is not highly modified (forced induction, high compression NA build, etc), a chipped/tuned ECU won't do much for a stock motor. Even with boltons such as intake/header/exhaust, it won't do much.

What is the ECU tuned with?

Milo-r86

Pop off the kick panel underneath the passenger dash on the side, unbolt it, unplug the harness. Done.

Just a heads up though, if your car is not highly modified (forced induction, high compression NA build, etc), a chipped/tuned ECU won't do much for a stock motor. Even with boltons such as intake/header/exhaust, it won't do much.

What is the ECU tuned with?
Thanks for your reply I appreciate it. ..I just have a couple extra things done besides you know "header intake exhaust" so a few people have told me I should get an ECU because the car runs better do I bought one but before I bought it me and the seller spoke and I gave him the information about my car and the engine set up and mods so he tuned the ECU for my specific set up.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So it's a basemap based on the mods you told him? If it's chipped, that means it's an ODB1 ECU, which means you will need to get a conversion harness for it.

Milo-r86

So it's a basemap based on the mods you told him? If it's chipped, that means it's an ODB1 ECU, which means you will need to get a conversion harness for it.
Yes that's right it's a baseman on my set up its an OBD1 ECU and he has the harness for it I bought both things.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Should be an easy swap for you then! :thumbs up

Milo-r86

Should be an easy swap for you then! :thumbs up
Thanks that's what I'm hoping even though you know how it is when it comes to cars even the smallest tasks can give you a headache like bolts stripped screws no room to work uncomfortable space and many others....thanks for your help.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Good call with that