EF Hatch Question!!

ethan.wllms

Ok so there are 2 EF's in the area where i live. one is actually for sale by a pawn shop and one is on a lot. The one on the lot is in drastic need of some TLC to the interior to the engine bay(i suspect it was raced quite hard due to a ricer look and tach). The one at the pawn shop is clean(ish). The seats are nice but need to be re-installed. The rest of the interior is in pretty fair condition. but I am almost certain it has a non-VTEC d16 with almost 300k mi on it...

What would you offer for either of them and which one sounds like it is in better shape?

mr00si

I say the one from the pawn shop need pics to suggest a price

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
All 88-91 Civics have non-VTEC motors in them.

baytownhatch

not entirely true. Here is the basic write up from a website dedicated to 4th gen civics.

The 4th generation Honda Civic was introduced in Europe at the IAA in Frankfurt Germany in September 1987. It was a very technical advanced car for its time, 4 valves per cylinder, double wishbone suspension front and rear and VTEC for the top model hatchback. It was available as 3 door hatchback, 4 door sedan, wagon (shuttle) and 3 door coupe (CRX). Rover build their 200 and 400 series on the Civic base.
A wide variety of engines was available for the 4th generation Civic. From a 1.2L SOHC to the 1.6L DOHC VTEC. 4WD was an option on the top models Sedan and Wagon (shuttle).

Base model of the 4th generation Civic was a 1.2L SOHC, this single carbureted engine was not available for the European and American market. For Europe the base model was the 1.3Luxe (DX for the United Kingdom) and 23L/23U for the Japanese market. 1.3L SOHC single carbureted engine.
Next engine was the 1.4L (GL) which was not available in the USA and Japan. It was a 1.4L SOHC dual carburetted engine which was available in most countries only in 1988 and 1989. It was replaced by the 1.5i GL and GLX in 1990. In some countries however the carburetted engines staid available after 1989.
The 1.5L SOHC engine came in a wide variety, dual-point injection, single carburetted and dual carburetted. Those engines were available in the JDM 25X/25XT, USDM DX and the USDM STD model (USDM base model), EDM 1.5i GL and GLX (only difference between EDM GL and GLX is a different standard equipment and a different Final Drive Ratio).
Next in line was the 1.6L SOHC. Simply 1.6i for the European market and Si for the American market (USDM top model). (not to be confused with the JDM Si which is a 1.6L DOHC)
Second highest model was the JDM Si. It was equipped with a 1.6L DOHC (ZC) engine and produced 130ps. The EDM 1.6i GT and 1.6i-16 (depends on country) had a ZC like 1.6L DOHC engine and had a stock 124hp (D16Z5) or 130hp (D16A9). All DOHC engines are equipped with Honda's multipoint fuel injection system (although there seems to have been a 1.6L DOHC non-VTEC with dual carburetors for the 4th gen. Not much is known about that engine).
Top model of the hatchback was the Japanese SiR with the 160ps B16A engine. In Europe the SiR was called 1.6i-VT and had a similar B16A1 engine. These top models of the 4th generation Civic were one of the first Honda's that were equipped with the famous VTEC system (the NSX was the first, the JDM 90/91 Integra XSi/RSi also had a B16A).

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
We weren't figuring he was buying a euro or JDM 4th gen, you know, since the OP is in Tennessee. North American 4th gens didn't come with VTEC.

baytownhatch

however, IMO he needs to 1.tell us what he plans on doing with the car and 2. what the milage is on the other car. If one was "raced pretty hard" then more than likely it might have upgrades so if he was wanting to do a build then by all means the one on the lot. If he wants a daily driver then go with the other one but with 300k he will soon have to do some kind of maintenance repair. it all depends on what he wants out of the car, the price, and the mileage on the cars. Granted hondas are known for having reliable engines so 300k is alot but not necessarily bad.

baytownhatch

yeah im starting to think the same. I need to start a thread on my build priced everything for the interior aspect of my hatch 2600 that has the body kit included gonna need some major OT