ef swap ideas

EFhatchguy

So i have an '90 hatch, and this winter i want to do a complete changeover swap with my buddy in his shop. I've been debating between 2 different motors though, and i cant really make up my mind. Its either a b20 or an h22, ive heard a lot of good and bad things about both though, so im kinda stuck here. any suggestions guys?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
yeah, not even close to the same type of swap

SiMAC

B20 would fit better. from what I hear the H22 sits pretty high in an EF, my friend has a boosted H22 in his ef 4 door and he has a hole cut out of the hood so the head will clear. But I'm not really an expert on swaps just what I've seen.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
b20 still might touch the hood brace, if it moves around alot, and you need an LS crank pulley to put it in an ef

I had a carbon fiber hood on my EF so I never worried about it

eflove66

the easiest swap in history is the b18a. the harness is direct plug and play for the obd0 models. may be worth looking into and it'll get you slightly more power than the b20 and you wouldn't have to worry about a obd0 to obd2 conversion

Civic Virtue

A H22A would be really crammed in there, I would recommend sticking with a B series in the EF/ED chassis. If you went H series you would experience this nasty "Prelude curse" we have to deal with too :???:

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
the easiest swap in history is the b18a. the harness is direct plug and play for the obd0 models. may be worth looking into and it'll get you slightly more power than the b20 and you wouldn't have to worry about a obd0 to obd2 conversion
and youll be slightly slower than the LS but oh well

Alarm Guru

......you sir dont know what ur talking about. the b18a is plug and play. for my b20 i used all of my single cam stuff such as injectors and my harness. my car was already converted to obd1 tho which youll want to run anyway. and a b18 more powerful than a b20? your a freaking idiot for saying that. if he gets the low compression b20b he gains right around 17whp by using the LS intake and exhaust manifolds, not to mention 9tq. There are 3 different jdm b20s 8.8:1 compression, 9.2:1 and 9.6:1. i have the 9.2 one. only difference between the 8.8 and 9.2 is the head. 9.2 has the p8r head with vtec sized valves and the 8.8 has an ordinary LS head. either way you go with a b20 youll come out on top. ive got a built head minus cams and i made 187whp/162tq on a dynojet last month. my block only has an oem rebuild. i make type R HP numbers without vtec.

also i used the b20 crank pulley because its the same damn pulley as a B18b, it didnt grind my radius arm at all. it all has to do with your mounts. i have innovative ones and i dont grind but my hood does sometime hit the motor when slammed. also if you dont have an SI youll have to convert to mpfi