EK auto to manual swap random ?'s

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
I am about 75% through the swap got everything mounted back up and trying to finish things up.
The block is a d16y7 and i am putting a y8 intake on it. One problem is the throttle cable bracket no sticks straight up and wont reach to the TB. Is there an easy replacement or should i just fab a new one up?

I have also obtained a y8 head and plan to so the mini-me swap soon. I already have the p28 harness for it. Should I throw it in now becuase its a manual ECU or will it have problems running it due to the y7 head still on?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You need be more specific. What is your setup? What intake manifold, what throttle body are you using?

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
yeah sorry its the y8 intake mani going onto the y7 head. the TB is off the y7 but the throttle spring id differnet wraps under and pulls down. I'll get some pictures up tonight

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
Ok it took me a couple days to find my camera but here are some pics of what im talking about.

In the first picture you can see the throttle cable doesn't reach the TB with the y8 intake mani
The second one shows the bracket for the cable sticking straight up and the hole dont even match up.
The car is a 99 dx so all original parts are y7. My question is there a bracket other than the y8 that will work? cuz I have had no luck finding just the bracket.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know this doesn't answer your question but is there any reason that you don't want to just use a Y8 throttle body?

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
The y8 one i got was crud and all the ports on that one match up and i just got the spring that pulled the other way.
If I can find a y8 throttle cable bracket do would that fix it.

Also still need some other info.
This is the wires from the auto shifter.
In the honda-tech write-up dude said it was 2 black wires and a blue one soldered together to make the car think it's in park but that was on an EJ I think. Mine is an EK so im guessing its the top green one cuz that would be park.
Any Thoughts

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
Sorry I changed questions to the wiring.

Back the the TB. I thought since i was still using the old wiring harness i could keep the IACV on the bottom of the TB but after more and more reading I think i have to repin the 2-wire to the back of the manifold. I have the P28 with the jumper harness. SO my questions now is will the TB I have work or whould i still be looking for a different Y8 TB? AND will I have to change to the 2 wire IACV plug?

imadvanced

You will need a y8 throttle cable stay. They aren't that expensive to buy new. Just like $7 shipped. You may also want a y8 throttle cable b/c it's a little shorter. It's not necessary, though. Some people just offset the y8 throttle cable stay by using only one bolt and having the other hole on the stay overhanging the manifold. I think you need to get a y8 TB and IACV (2 wire). you can modify your auto y8 manifold to a y8 5 speed, so, you won't NEED to buy a new intake manifold. You will have to tap a hole on the back of the auto manifold to bolt up the IACV and drill two holes for the IACV to register pressure (you drill one all the way through and the other part way through). You will also have to drill into the face of the manifold so the IACV can measure the pressure on the air filter side of the manifold. I'm not sure exactly how to do the last part, but there's a DIY somewhere that explains it. Of course, you could just buy a 5speed manifold.

I hope this helps!

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
Yeah it does. the manifold is a 5spd so its already got the 2pin IACV on the back. But since the TB has the 3pin should i just leave that on but not run any coolant to it? The setup ive got now has both the 2 and 3 pin IACV. Im just not sure which IACV to use. I will be putting in a P28 ECU to do the mini-me swap in the future if that helps answer the question.

imadvanced

You will need to use the 2 wire IACV. You will also need a 5speed ECU. I'm not sure if the y8-manual ECU will work or not. Maybe somebody else could chime in. Also, I'm not sure how the y7 IACV works. It may create a vacuum leak if you just have it on the TB like that. You may need to use some JB weld to fill in the ports. I'm not really sure.

Coolant goes to the IACV to keep the throttle plate warm so it doesn't freeze shut when it gets really cool. Since you live where it gets really cold, I would still run the coolant lines through the 3-pin IACV b/c its closest to the throttle plate.