ek hatch vs eg hatch going kseries

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so does anyone think that the 300lb difference in a ek hatch vs eg hatch makes that much of a difference? im not looking at trying for a pro record or anything but im getting rid of my 99 si for this project and maybe my 98 ex also so i wana do this right....so far to put the k series in a ek imma need eg parts parts cuz the motor will sit low but how did you guys pick what car you stuck with? I like the look of the ek but the weight difference bothers me a lil bit 300lbs is like .8's of a sec in 1/4 aint it?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Stick with the body style you prefer or you'll regret it later.

Trekk

Registered VIP
100lbs works out to about a 10th of a second. Most people don't drive we'll enough that 3/10ths of a second would matter. Eg's make better autox cars most would say, but because of the build more so then the weight.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The weight difference depends on which model you use as your base so the gap isn't all that wide. 300lbs is not a .8 sec quarter mile time difference, it's a smaller gap. Either chassis can be just as good as the other, and both have their installation downsides.

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok then ya i didnt want to start a project until i traded either of my cars for the one i wanted...i guess a tenth of a second aint that bad then i guess i can stick with the ek i like the outside of the eg better but love the inside of ek the dash and all so i was gona either swap ek front end on eg or eg subframe on ek for the kswap ....is there any downsides to eg like electronic wise i've seen s2k clusters in both and looks legit what do you guys think??? i just want to get rid of my 99 si since im getting tired of it and think the hatchs look WAY better...

is there a big difference in trunk space from ek coupe to ek hatch? almost every1 here has eg hatchs

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You have to choose if you want a track car or a show car. I myself like EK's more then EG's but I would have both. I'm doing a k swap into my EK coupe. I'm going with a 2.4 so I'm not worried about weight since there will be plenty of torque to make up for it lol. Just go with what ever you want. If its to heavy you can always cut up the car to make it go faster. But I would only do that if you are serious about having a track car.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No electrical downside. Trunk space is less in a hatch.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well im stupid if that's what you mean ;) hahaha. The trunk space is smaller in a hatch, usable interior along with the hatch space is better than the coupe though. I should have worded it better orginially.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well im stupid if that's what you mean ;) hahaha. The trunk space is smaller in a hatch, usable interior along with the hatch space is better than the coupe though. I should have worded it better orginially.
That's what I tried to say but I suck :P

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok thanks guys i found a ek hatch woohoo, ever since i seen this dvd on type r hatch i just love the way it looks

mikesanto70

ok so does anyone think that the 300lb difference in a ek hatch vs eg hatch makes that much of a difference? im not looking at trying for a pro record or anything but im getting rid of my 99 si for this project and maybe my 98 ex also so i wana do this right....so far to put the k series in a ek imma need eg parts parts cuz the motor will sit low but how did you guys pick what car you stuck with? I like the look of the ek but the weight difference bothers me a lil bit 300lbs is like .8's of a sec in 1/4 aint it?
The difference in weight is not 300 pounds bro, a 1996 civic CX manual hatch weighs 2217, your telling me an EG weighs 1900 lbs. No friggin way, a 92-95 EG hatch SI weighs more that a 96 DX hatch by the way, maybe a 92-95 Civic VX would be lighter and maybe by 150-200, not 300, no way, where is all that weight by the way? I have a honda/acura weight table, but not on this computer cause I'm at work, but it real hard to find clean hatch's anymore too, forget the EG being mint orig anymore, it took me 3 years to find my mint 70k mi. 1996 DX hatch, and it will go to the grave with me as long as no d**k steals it or totals it out!!!

hi-r3v

Just got my 2000 Honda civic cx Hatch 121k last week. All stock besides an off brand axelback. I orginally wanted an eg but saw this beauty =)