Ek subwoofer enclosure

ricaroni

Soon I will be purchasing a 98 civic coupe. Im trying to figure out the max dimensions for a subwoofer enclosure in the trunk. I want to have two 12's foward facing and possibly sealed off from the trunk.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
All depends on how you make the box. Nobody can give you dimensions on it because of all the different possibilities to describe its max dimensions.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Soon I will be purchasing a 98 civic coupe. Im trying to figure out the max dimensions for a subwoofer enclosure in the trunk. I want to have two 12's foward facing and possibly sealed off from the trunk.
You shouldnt build a box without knowing what subwoofers you will use. Thats the typical improper way to approach building a bass system. Each sub has optimal box dimensions. An improperly sized box can restrict bass efficiency. The size of a box doesnt matter as much as the quality of subs used and the amps powering them properly.

If you want to build a powerful system first research quality brand subs and their RMS wattage (max wattage is useless), calculate the enclosure size they need for optimal performance, then select a quality amp to power them within RMS specifications. You may find that you may not need a massive box to achieve massive bass.

ricaroni

I understand all of this. Im just looking for some max dimensions to work with, not that i will be building it that big. I would just like to know the largest possible box that would be able to slide in the trunk and toward the seats.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I understand all of this. Im just looking for some max dimensions to work with, not that i will be building it that big. I would just like to know the largest possible box that would be able to slide in the trunk and toward the seats.
That may still vary on whether you are willing to build a custom shape for maximum enclosure space or just keep it simple with a rectangle. Either way its on you to chose the difficulty level and get busy with a measuring tape.

For the rectangular box consider the following measuring suggestions:
1- measure the narrowest width of the opening when you drop down the rear seats.
2- Crawl through the lowered seats and measure the width between the 2 trunk arms.
3- Chose a max width between both measurements thatll allow you to slide it in from the front then wiggle it into place from the trunk opening and allow for trunk closure without obstruction.
4- With the trunk closed, measure from the spare lid to about inch or so below the lowest point under the rear deck to again ensure no obstruction.
5- Lastly, guestimate box depth that'll allow you to slide in the box & move it as needed. My guess is around 10 inches.

This may not be a specific response but it'll give you the specific numbers you need without blindly trusting someones numbers that may be inaccurate.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He doesn't even have the car yet, hence why he is asking for someone with measurements...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He doesn't even have the car yet, hence why he is asking for someone with measurements...
I understand but I feel its a bit excessive to ask for so much assistance on a car he doesn't own and cant even do some of his own research. At least he has a direction to go when he purchases the car.

ricaroni

just looking for the largest possible, simple rectangular box that will be able to slide into the trunk. Im capable of measuring a trunk...with no car to refrence thats impossible. I would like to buid a box prior to buying the car.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To be honest, why don't you just head over to a dealership that is selling one or to a junk yard and go to town with a tape measure? That way you get the measurements you need instead of relying on someone else's info that may or may not be accurate.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I understand but I feel its a bit excessive to ask for so much assistance on a car he doesn't own and cant even do some of his own research. At least he has a direction to go when he purchases the car.
This

drewcoreen

drewcoreen
You have to make a very good box modification for that. You basically want the speaker to face you from the back right?