Electrical Problem: Won't Crank

Cr8zyDrifter

5+ Year Member
I think both pads on both of the clutch switches (cruise, clutch saftey) are missing, I think everything else is fine. Is there any easy way to get to all of that stuff under the dash, up there at the top of the clutch pedal?

I found broken pieces of the stopper on the floor board.

EDIT:
----------
The Starter will crank if the button is pressed or plug is jumped. so the switch is good. I charged the battery on 12Volt 40amps for 30-60 minutes. took the charger off, Turned the key and NO LIGHTS on the dash, battery seemed dead, measured voltage with meter, it said 7.66 - 9.00V. should that be enough to turn on, or start? My Cousin hooked that battery charger up the first time and had it on 12V 225Amps. I turned the key on and there were relays clicking, and buzzing everywhere. I thought the car was going to catch fire. the lights in the cluster looked like they were going to explode they were so bright. Could that have Fried something? I checked relays underhood. everything looked good. I think I might just need some gas and a new battery. It started once for me,but even with the charger hooked up, the car won't fire now.

RonJ

Banned
Voltage lower than 12V indicates that the battery is dead. You'll likely need to replace it.

If the lights are abnormally bright with the engine running, then the voltage regulator inside the alternator is bad. In this case, the alternator must be replaced.

Cr8zyDrifter

5+ Year Member
lights were abnormally bright with the battery charger hooked up, set on 12V 225Amps. They were fine while idling. car is cranking but still won't start. I'm going to get a couple gallons of new gas, and a battery today, Hope it will start on its own then.

RonJ

Banned
Cranks but won't start:

Out of gas? Does the fuel pump prime? Do you have spark at the plugs? Any CEL codes?

Cr8zyDrifter

5+ Year Member
I'm at work right now, but when i get off, I will put some gas in it, put a battery in it, see if i can hear the fuel pump prime, If all that is good, I'll use your write up to check for spark.

RonJ

Banned
You may also want to pull out the spark plugs to check whether the cylinders are flooded.

Cr8zyDrifter

5+ Year Member
still haven't had a chance to get out there and work on it. I'll let you guys know if I fix it. If anyone cares that is. Thanks for the help guys.

Cr8zyDrifter

5+ Year Member
put a new battery in, and the car started right up, I don't know why it wouldn't start with the battery charger hooked up. ? BUT, Now my Stereo doesn't work. I think hooking that battery charger up blew the fuse in the back of the Head Unit.

civbomann

Z6 not cranking/starting

The clutch safety switch is a common problem, but don't replace it unless you show that jumping the connector solves the starting problem.
i tryed jumpin it, no good, tryed bypassin incase plug was faulty. nothing, only way to driv e this car is bump any ideas im gonna lose my job if i cant get back and forth to work apprciate it

RonJ

Banned
If you hot wire both starter terminals directly to the (+) battery post, does the starter crank? If not, check the transmission ground wire connection. If the ground wire connection is fine, then the starter likely needs to be replaced.