~~Electrical Shock~~

cmpx2_15_owner

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is it normal to get an electrical shock EVERYTIME you get out of a civic? I'm asking because my bro's 2000 ex gives me an annoying shock everytime I get out of the car. I've never been shocked in my leather interior BMW E30..... Is it the static prone CLOTH SEATS? Someone please tell me how I can eliminate this annoyance. Thanks.

xivera

insert witty remark here
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ground yourself before stepping out of the car... (grab something metal preferably something connected to the chassis)

civic1582

CCSC #86
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah it's pretty much cloth seats in any car. Usually only happens when the air is dry (ie winter). If you touch something metal as you are getting out that will usually stop the shocking

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Close the door by pushing the windows instead of the door. This might look stupid everytime but you can touch the headlight and for some reason, even when its not metal, it grounds the shock.

I get schoked sometimes while going inside the car.
Next time you get into your car, hold your key on the metal part and touch the keyhole on the car. That also discharges it. It was always like that for me for a long time

cmpx2_15_owner

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
xivera said:
Ground yourself before stepping out of the car... (grab something metal preferably something connected to the chassis)
But that's how I get shocked...I accidentally touch something metallic on my way out, edge of door, door latch, whatever. Is there anyway I can ground the seats so that I won't charge up?

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cmpx2_15_owner said:
But that's how I get shocked...I accidentally touch something metallic on my way out, edge of door, door latch, whatever. Is there anyway I can ground the seats so that I won't charge up?
I think what he meant was before your feet touches the ground, have your hands already grabbing the door frame or something metal.

ZimZimma13

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have the same problem....but it only seems to be when I'm down here at school and during the milder/winter weather.

mugen_tuned

4G63-T
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my girl gets it all the time, cloth seats would cause it, the funny part is, one day we went out to eat, we got out and kissed, our noses sparked, god damn it hurt, everyone was looking thinking we bumped our heads. it was hillarious.

cmpx2_15_owner

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
[civic] said:
I think what he meant was before your feet touches the ground, have your hands already grabbing the door frame or something metal.
That means I'll have to make it a habit whenever I drive/ride in that car. Should I hook up a ground wire to the door handles :idea: ? I might NEVER get shocked again! I'll try that and let you know if it works.

surfer4life722

you can touch it...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats the most annoying thing ever, why does my car shock me? Maybe she's upset with me...I've been treating her well though. Sometime it SHOCKS THE HELL out of me, I though I lost a finger onetime it was crazy