EM1 dies randomly and wont start back up..

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Haven't posted here in a LONG time, but I know I can get some good feedback..

Here's the situation:
After we had about 2 weeks of a snow storm and single digit temps outside my car was parked sine I live on a hill and couldn't drive it. Afterwards I replaced the battery because it went bad and I replaced the alternator belt cause it started to squeak. For a week it would randomly cut out for a second while driving under a load/idling didn't matter. The next week if I drove it more than just to and from work that's only like 4 miles each way it would cut out and die at stop lights or while I was under a load. Most of the time when it would die it would crank like a champion but wouldn't fire up. So after being stuck in the middle of busy intersections 3 times I got it to a Honda only shop that my buddy works at. Now when it dies and wont start I have to leave it sitting for awhile before it will fire up again. Sometimes I could make it home and other times I coulnd't. They tested at the shop that the ignitor was bad and replaced it. For two weeks it worked perfect. I even drove a 100 mile round trip to downtown Portland and back and it was great. But after two weeks its doing it again, the same thing. I got it back to the shop last saturday after it died, but they couldn't get it to die so they could test it after running it for almost 3 straight hours. They drove it through town for me and let it idle and behold...Nothing! I pick up the car drive home and it dies at the first f*cking light...it starts back up after 3 cranks and I get home. Now today I can't even get to work and back without it trying to cut out.

I think I've narrowed it down to "spark" as being the problem, but I want some opinions. I'm waiting for a guy to call me back about a dizzy he has that I might buy. PLEASE help me out here, I'm trying to sell this car cause I have to move out and I can't even show it to anyone cause I can't figure what's wrong with it to fix it. I"m really stressed about it so please no neg feedback. I've been trying to sell since October in this shitty economy we have. It's the b16a2 btw. Thanks CC.

Here's she is...My sig is out of date http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj192/tunerfreak87/Civic%20SI/

99_EM1

5+ Year Member
check your grounds especially in the engine bay. the salt is bad for it!

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm on the west coast so no salt here =) I'll check my ground towards the back of the motor, my front and side ground is good I know for sure.

bump...any help would be awesome.

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nobody knows anything about distributors or what causes this or seen a similar situation? ANY input about my situation would help...nobody seems to have answers.

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have TWO people wanting to see my car for sale ANY ANY help would be awesome...What would cause my car to die at random moments and sometimes not start for awhile afterwards but crank like a champ???

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
new spark plugs, wires, dizzy-cap-rotor, and grounds, as stated above.

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
new spark plugs, wires, dizzy-cap-rotor, and grounds, as stated above.
What about the coil or the ignitor going bad again after two weeks? I'm just throwing everything out there.

THanks for the input everything is getting checked today i.e. plugs, wires, grounds...