Emissions

EGDriva

5+ Year Member
I just got my EG monday. So today I went to go get it tested for emmisions, so I can go get my tags transfered to this car. And the first time I got it tested it failed the hydrocarbon level. It was reading 355 and its supposed to be 220 or less. So, I go get some seafoam and sea foam it and it didn't even smoke. So, Im confused at this point on why it didnt smoke. Then a buddy of mine said to pour a couple bottles of alcohol in the gas tank, he said like 4 bt I only did two. So, I just got back home from testing it again. And, no hydrocarbon reading is down to 252. So, it came down a whole 103 units. I guess i could check the spark plugs and such. And, take it back on Monday. Im definately gonna run more sea foam and alcohol in the gas tank as it seems to have helped soo much. Almost passed just needs to come down 32units.

What have you guys done to make yours pass in the past. Seeing as if someone here has gone thru this same situation as me before.

KLiK

5+ Year Member
check if you have the catalytic converter...'cause you cannot pass without it!

this is the fix if you bought a Honda from an old bloke or granny:
also, go on the highway...there is a limit of 85mph...drive in 3rd or 4th in high rpms (not in VTEC - which means under under 5000rpms for D16Z6, under 5500rpms for B16, VTECe can be run in VTEC mode, 'cause it's only 16V run)...drive at least 100miles up & down...then check the emissions!

EGDriva

5+ Year Member
Ok. The car was bought from a friend around my age alil older, so he is about 19 I think. So, I guess it was ran regularly. But, I need to drive in 4th gear on the interstate right below vtec.

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
100mi! DAMN... haha, the trick is to just warm your car up before you bring it in. And I mean like right before you bring it in. Leave it running in the parking lot.

Since you just bought your car might as well do a tune up unless you know what the prvious owner had done.
And unless the car had just been cleaned at least some smoke should come out with the Seafoam. I put it in my brake booster line to where it almost bogged down the car back it up a little then kept going.

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
100mi! DAMN... haha, the trick is to just warm your car up before you bring it in. And I mean like right before you bring it in. Leave it running in the parking lot.

Since you just bought your car might as well do a tune up unless you know what the prvious owner had done.
And unless the car had just been cleaned at least some smoke should come out with the Seafoam. I put it in my brake booster line to where it almost bogged down the car back it up a little then kept going.
The hotter to better. We have two interstate exits 3 miles apart. The emissions testing facilty is between the two. We just go about up and down the interstate a few times. :thumbs up

100 miles is a bit excessive. Maybe 10-20 miles.

EGDriva

5+ Year Member
Well I changed the spark plugs today they were completely fouled. So, maybe they was unburnt fuel goin thru the system. So, I think 2 bottles of alcohol in the tank again plus the changed plugs and i should be very fine. What do you guys think.

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
had the same result and it was my catalytic converter.

see if you have one or check the condition of it

KLiK

5+ Year Member
there is allways unburned fuel in Honda...thgey are extra, extra, extra rich!

escpecially if you don't rev them...

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is allways unburned fuel in Honda...thgey are extra, extra, extra rich!

escpecially if you don't rev them...
Now that's just wrong. People always say this. I NEVER see proof. I've never seen a completely stock Honda run rich. It doesn't make sense. Think about it... these are econoboxes. They are made to squeeze the most out of every ounce of fuel put in. Do you get 35+ mpg because you're dumping fuel onto the pavement?

Now... that said... we install our SRIs and CAIs on them, suck in more air, it throws in more fuel, and the combustion process just can't handle it. And that unburnt fuel goes into the exhaust. But don't ever say Hondas run rich. It's improper tuning that makes it run rich.

EGDriva

5+ Year Member
Just went to get tested again, passed with flying colors. Numbers came way down again. The plugs did the trick.