Engine bucking when floored: tps problem?

EF..ur mom

5+ Year Member
so i have had this problem since i got the car its a 91 civic standard model and it has a y8 mani with pm6 and all the wireing was done professionaly by a buddy of mine but....it did the same thing b4 the mpfi swap so it has nothing to do with that

it has all the symptoms as if my tps sensor is out and i replaced it on the dpfi mani and it helped a little but still does it but when i dont drive the car for a while like when my clutch went out or when my radiator started leaking once i get it back on the road it wouldnt do it for like a few months then start again slowly start back up little by little what other sensor could this be or what should i check it has like a "bucking" sensation and when i floor it it will smooth right out i have new plugs wires dist. cap rotor fuel filter and im on my third tps sensor

what else could it be any ideas will be appreciated thanx for reading

93turbo16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you have the sensor properly set?

It should be ~.5 volts closed and 4.5 volts at WOT.

Also check your ignition timing with a timing light, just to verify that is correct.

EF..ur mom

5+ Year Member
i am getting a code 17 or at least i think its 17 it blinks once pauses then blinks 17 times

i just did the si tranny swap like two days ago so tommarow im gonna go back check all the plugs and reset the ecu (diconnect the battery for a few minuts) and see if that helps

and ive heard of calibrateing the tps sensor but i dont know how lol so im sure its off ..how do i do it??

RonJ

Banned
Code 17 is for the VSS.

A long CEL blink is 10 and a short CEL blink is 1.

I think you may have code 1 and 7 (O2 sensor and TPS circuit faults), though you need to verify this.

Click here.

Once you are sure about what codes are thrown, reset the ECU and drive the car until the CEL turns on. Then pull the codes again. Only codes that repeat are worth troubleshooting.

Last edited:

EF..ur mom

5+ Year Member
cool dude thanx for the info

i know a guy that might be able to help me with the timeing with the light and calibrateing the sensor so ill look into that for sure

ill post up at let you know what happens over the next couple of days

RonJ

Banned
i know a guy that might be able to help me with the timeing with the light and calibrateing the sensor so ill look into that for sure
I highly recommend that you focus entirely on figuring out what repeating CEL code(s) is thrown becuase this will likely lead to a solution to your problem.

EF..ur mom

5+ Year Member
Ok so I reset the ecu and the code 17 went away I think that was causing the cel light to come on but it's still blinking once so does a bad o2 senser usually cause a car to run a little funny or what I'm gonna replace it but I was wondering that could be the cause of my problem .... Thanx again guys

RonJ

Banned
Does the problem only occur after the engine is hot? If so, unplug the O2 sensor to see whether this makes the problem go away. If so, replace the O2 sensor.

Did you check/adjust the ignition timing?

Last edited: