engine cutting out

civicturbo91

professional bitchslapper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a d16y8 in my 99 coupe. my motor has been stumbling lately at random times and at all rpm's. its almost like its running on 3 cylinders cause it loses power and sounds like a motorcycle. i can drive all day and it will be fine then outta nowhere it will cut in and out. the fuel pump is 2 years old barely, new fuel filter, new plugs and plug wires, and i swapped my ignition coil with a new one and it didnt help either. im def thinking its electrical. i also took my dist. cap off and cleaned it up and still nothing.

does anybody have any ideas of what i should troubleshoot next? or what should i do if noone has any idea. im broke and cant take it to honda.

please please help

thanks

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
c'mon anybody. i really need some help

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well it was throwing 6 engine codes

cylinder 1,2,3, and 4 random misfire

and 2 other random misfire codes. i dont think its the o2

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know you said you already changed your plugs and wires but thats what its sounding like to me.....it could also be your distributor rotor....you might as well replace it now and see if it fixes the problem cause they are dirt cheap....6 bucks i think from autozone

9EK8

5+ Year Member
i had the same problem when i installed a new head. i had a broken knock sensor fixed that. took it to a shop to get timing done right. and i found out it was cause my timing belt was installed incorrectly and had to much slack. try checking the tension on your timing belt.

9EK8

5+ Year Member
could also be that your dist timing is off. im not sure wat cause mine i just no it ahd to do with the timing. but i should never of takin it to a shop. best work is back yard work.

civic_stewie

5+ Year Member
i have a similar problem only mine stumbles at anything below 3000 rpm it's also throwing random misfire codes. ive replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, coil, distributor, cap and rotor and still not able to figure out my problem so if you find anything out let me know

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a similar problem only mine stumbles at anything below 3000 rpm it's also throwing random misfire codes. ive replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, coil, distributor, cap and rotor and still not able to figure out my problem so if you find anything out let me know
yeah sounds like me.

so far i have replaced or swapped from another car just to see if there was any difference and to no avail:

fuel filter
fuel pump
dist. cap
rotor button
ignition coil
plugs
plug wires

i'll let you know. im going to honda tommorrow to get a diagnostic

JDMCreep

KANJO anyone ??
5+ Year Member
check check if the o gaskets on ur valve cover are leaking oil in were the park plug wires go pull one of them out at a time that might be it

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check check if the o gaskets on ur valve cover are leaking oil in were the park plug wires go pull one of them out at a time that might be it
yeah i pulled the plugs to check the spark plug gap a few days ago so i would have noticed that.

wednesday im going to swap my ecu and my whole distributer one at a time with my cousins d16y8 to see if that could be it because i cant afford to take it to honda. anything else i should try swapping while im at it if it isnt one of the two?

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
timing belt could have jumped a couple teeth
can that actually happen under normal driving? i started having problems while in the break in period for my clutch so i wasnt driving or shifting hard at all.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i doubt it but anythings possible i guess...thought about clogged injectors? idk if injector cleaner works or not, im sure somebody on the site knows though

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its just really bugging me that the codes are saying that all the cylinders are misfiring. i guess we'll find out tommorrow

9EK8

5+ Year Member
it can happen under normal driving. im pretty sure that was wat happened to me. try seetin tdc. and checkin to see if its off.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Seems like you replaced everything but the distributor itself or distributor module.

When the distributor shaft starts having play(gets loose and wiggle while its spins) the rotor doesn't make contact with every cylinder properly creating misfires.

Also when the distributor module starts going bad it can't tell the computer what's going on so it starts acting up. That also can create misfires.

Might want to try replacing the module first since it would be cheaper.