engine getting too hot

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok well i have a 00 civic dx and it has about 170k miles and i am not sure if the water pump of thermostat has ever been changed or not....

well im a delivery driver and tonight i left my car out to idle as usual and when i got into my car to drive off the guage climed all the way to 4/5, i shut it off for 1hr and now it runs normal? why?

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Check your coolent level....Any signs of leaking?? If your not sure of the last water pump/ timing belt/thermostat change, now would be a good time to swap in some new parts.....Keep an eye on it!! Don't leave it idling!!

pikachu25

check engine oil level too that could be making it hot if you dont have enough oil

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe i can check, ive noticed it only heats up during idling for a while but normal during driving

1991civicb16

maybe i can check, ive noticed it only heats up during idling for a while but normal during driving
I got an accord doing the same thing. I dont worry about it much in mine though cause when its hot and i rev it the temp lowers back down so im sure mine is a thermostat, but good luck on figuring yours out.

Hombre

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i agree with everyone... check 1st the water/collant level.. make sure its properly filled.. then start the car..

observe your car during idle.. dont leave.. lol... check your water temp... it will go up until it reaches a certain degrees, radiator fan should start.. if not, check the sensor... otherwise, test the fan to determine if need to replace the fan motor... if fan worked, remind you, make sure it blows really hard, it should remove most of the heat from the radiator.. if its blowing properly, water temp should go down... if not, replace the fan motor.

thats it for now.. let us know after you check it... good luck!!!

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lol I was at school about to do a back pressure test and decided to check the fan... Lol the motor ripped the splines off the fan, just ordered me a slim one