Engine giving off white smoke... not overheating

Dexter239

My car's engine has started smoking after about 15 mins of driving, and it seems to do it more when I brake. I just got the oil changed, and thought maybe some oil had ended up on the engine and was burning off but it seems to be getting worse not better. There doesn't seem to be a change of the feel of how it drives though, and it's not overheating... Any ideas? I'm not opposed to taking it to a mechanic (I am not a car expert and have only done very very basic repairs and maintenance), but I'd like to have an idea of what it may be before going in if that's what I end up needing to do.

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so it wasn't doing this before you had the oil changed right?

Dexter239

No, not that I noticed. Though granted, I hadn't driven it for more than 5 minutes at a time for pretty much the whole week before I got the oil changed so I suppose I could have just not have noticed.

Dexter239

DId you check the oil level?
Welp, I feel like an idiot. I hadn't yet, just went out and checked it and it is slightly over the max line. I know that needs fixing, do you think could actually cause all that smoke? Thanks in advance for y'all's patience, I know I'm really ignorant when it comes to vehicle repairs and maintenance.

CHYEAHMAYNE

Welp, I feel like an idiot. I hadn't yet, just went out and checked it and it is slightly over the max line. I know that needs fixing, do you think could actually cause all that smoke? Thanks in advance for y'all's patience, I know I'm really ignorant when it comes to vehicle repairs and maintenance.
Not sure, but I don't think so. I'm just trying to give you advice on what I'd check because this has never happened to me. Do you know where the smoke is coming from? I would check for oil leaks too. White smoke is caused by burning oil I believe.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oil burning is blue. Fuel is black. White is coolant.

Are you sure it's white? And are you sure it's coolant? Coolant should smell "sweet". Have you checked your coolant level after the car has warmed up (radiator fan has kicked on several times)?

Your brakes will smoke white as well if they're seized or if the rotors/pads are brand new and you're breaking them in.