engine harness removal?

086head

Registered VIP
So this wed. I got a guy coming to pick up my totaled civic and i wanted to get my motor harness out just in case i decide to do an obd0 to obd1 conversion on my 87 hatch. I had a couple of questions. The motor and tranny are out as well as the ecm, i read a tech archive about taking one out but it didnt help. Now do i need to pull out the dash and disconect anything from the cluster gauge or just feed the ecm cord through the firewall and im good to go? I ask about having to go through the cluster because my light wires are wrapped in the wireswith the motor sensors and its common sense that they run to the cluster, or can i just cut em? I have zero experience with wiring. Please help?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your instrument lights aren't on the same harness as the engine. If your motor and tranny are out you should be able to just follow the wires to where they run through the firewall by the ECU and disconnect them on the other side.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Umm. Disconnect everything and take it out :what:

086head

Registered VIP
Ok so i got the motor harness out, much appreciatd for help. So now that i know that there are two differenr harnesses, cant i strip the harness, ecu, and motor out (ew4) of the hatch and run my p28 ecu, obd1 harness, and d16 or will there be any fabrication involved?

086head

Registered VIP
Well i found out that ill have to fabricate a way to co.nnect the motor harness to an 87 hatch dash harness. Found a great wright up http://wikitest.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view.pl/Library/KurtsOBD0-OBD1 but i dont understand why i keep reading all these ecm/ecu wiring mods when it seems you can just run the whole harness and ecu and only fabricate the harness and dash harness connection. Correct me if im wrong

086head

Registered VIP
google is your best friend
I am very aware of this buuuuuuuut i get tons of mixed reviews and opinions on items like this and such but what im hoping for is someone in the community that has or knows anyone that has used this product or something similar. Kinda like those threads where "which exhaust is better"