Engine hot gear hard

sysblack

Respected
I have a 2000 Honda CivicSI (B16A2) when the engine is cold the gear come soft but work well when the engine is taking temperature become hard and change kit clutch master and slave transmission oilchange and still remains the same and no I am that I only need to open the transmission to see that damage may have (pardon my English'm using the google translator)

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

If I understand correctly, you have an issue shifting gears once the engine warms up.

The clutch pilot bearing or clutch would be my first guess. If it hasn't been done in a while, a transmission fluid flush might do wonders. I flushed mine last month and pulled a whole bunch of metal shavings out. This got rid of my 2nd gear grind and she now shifts much better.

Lucas Mast

:welcome:

If I understand correctly, you have an issue shifting gears once the engine warms up.

The clutch pilot bearing or clutch would be my first guess. If it hasn't been done in a while, a transmission fluid flush might do wonders. I flushed mine last month and pulled a whole bunch of metal shavings out. This got rid of my 2nd gear grind and she now shifts much better.
So what do you think would cause a grind going into third gear? I can shift into third gear, but if I dont wait till the rpms go down (5-6secs) it grinds going into third.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thank you for your response, and replace the entire clutch kit including what you indicate
Sounds good! I would certainly get a better opinion than mine before you go and purchase everything, as this is just my best guess and I am not a mechanic. But a clutch kit should come with pilot bearing and tool.

So what do you think would cause a grind going into third gear? I can shift into third gear, but if I dont wait till the rpms go down (5-6secs) it grinds going into third.
I hate to derail a thread, so in the future just create a new topic rather than posting to someone elses :thumbs up

BUT, that sounds like a synchos issue. Again, a tranny flush *might* help, as you'll get some metal shavings out of the there. I threw a magnetic drain bolt in before I flushed, and it caught quite a good amount of tiny shavings. I got the drain bolt from Password JDM for like $20.

Lucas Mast

Sounds good! I would certainly get a better opinion than mine before you go and purchase everything, as this is just my best guess and I am not a mechanic. But a clutch kit should come with pilot bearing and tool.

I hate to derail a thread, so in the future just create a new topic rather than posting to someone elses :thumbs up

BUT, that sounds like a synchos issue. Again, a tranny flush *might* help, as you'll get some metal shavings out of the there. I threw a magnetic drain bolt in before I flushed, and it caught quite a good amount of tiny shavings. I got the drain bolt from Password JDM for like $20.
Sorry about derailing the thread but thanks for the advice.

sysblack

Respected
[Quote = "Lucas Mástil, post: 3418237, miembro: 137013"]. Lo siento por descarrilar el hilo, pero gracias por el consejo [/ quote]

Thanks everyone for your help

Yesterday disassemble the transmission and now watching a video on youtube I do not think it's a lot of work open to see who may be going'm not mechanical I'm just an apprentice but I really like it and want to know if someone who is very experienced advised me to open myself or carry it where someone specialized writing from Panama and here the cost is high for this I open myself and hopefully not something so serious that the strange thing is that it is only when hot hard because changes are made. (excuse my English, I am using the traducctor of google)

DavidR

5+ Year Member
Dont mean to thread jack but since this topic is related to some of my issues, i got an si also and the shifter takes more effort than normal to change gears, i have to use my whole hand rather than being able to just throw it into gear with 2 fingers, any one ever have this problem?

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds almost like a clearance problem... I'm curious to know what the temperature difference is between a good shift, and a bad shift. How long do you get to drive it before the shifting gets hard.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dont mean to thread jack but since this topic is related to some of my issues, i got an si also and the shifter takes more effort than normal to change gears, i have to use my whole hand rather than being able to just throw it into gear with 2 fingers, any one ever have this problem?
your issue sounds more like something to do with the synchro/blocker ring teeth or dog teeth on the gears inside the transmission may be worn out and not meshing well.
(picture below is not exactly how it looks, but should give you some idea)

You may also just need a transmission fluid change with some good synchro-mesh manual transmission fluid, or Honda manual transmission fluid.

Last edited:

DavidR

5+ Year Member
Sounds almost like a clearance problem... I'm curious to know what the temperature difference is between a good shift, and a bad shift. How long do you get to drive it before the shifting gets hard.
If your replying to me, it doesn't matter what temp the trans is. The shifter feel is always stiff. Fluid was changed with honda MTF several months back with no improvment at all. I wonder if the linkage might have been damaged/bent at some point, car is sitting kinda low.

sysblack

Respected
Hello

I opened the transmission and have found a worn look each other in good condition, I think it may be something within the same gear as well as shows the previous gear.

sending some photos of how the gears are

Thank you

20150823_163636.jpg 20150823_163738.jpg 20150823_164127.jpg 20150823_163636.jpg 20150823_163738.jpg 20150823_164127.jpg 20150823_164127.jpg