engine knocking VERY loudly

99SilverCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this morning I noticed like a knocking sound coming from my engine, sonded like my valves, checked the oil and there was not much there and my car never leaked oil and I wasn't overdue on an oil change yet.

So I drained the old oil, there was barely anything there, and I put in oil and my now it's full on oil, but the clunking just got worse.
Anyways I pulled off the valve cover and I can't tell if there is anything wrong with my valves.
I will be pulling off the oil pan tomorrow and checking the bottom end.

If you guys know anything about it, let me know, this is my daily driver car and i'm SOL without my honda, becayse I don't feel like driving my car with the knocking noise.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like the motor is gonna blow soon... i bet a rod has a bad bearing, and if thats the case the rod will probably snap and put a big hole in your block. sorry to drop a bomb like that, but im just giving you the truth. swap the motor ASAP.

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You spun a rod bearing.. plain & simple. Good new tho, I just saved lots of money on my car insurance by switching to gieco!!

lol, now the "real" good news, those motors D16Y7 come by the hand full & sell for cheap.

Midnight-Bullet

5+ Year Member
i had the exact problem with my d16...ignored it...had the prob for about a month...then went on the highway and ripped it...when i got off, my motor shut down and it sounded like there was a marble shooting around inside. brought it home and discovered that my maybe one or more of my connecting rods were ruined. now my car's stored and waiting for a b16 to go in. :D

celtic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sleeper said:
You spun a rod bearing.. plain & simple. Good new tho, I just saved lots of money on my car insurance by switching to gieco!!

lol, now the "real" good news, those motors D16Y7 come by the hand full & sell for cheap.
I'm not arguing with you, but how do you know he spun a bearing...couldn't it be a bent rod??

I spun a bearing in my car but it was making a knocking sound which I figured was a rod and was just going to drive the car until it puked. Then 20 minutes later I'm just cruising down the road and there was this disgusting squeal and the car shut down. Wasn't that the "spinning of the bearing."

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Seems like the rod knock is goin around latly.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
celtic11 said:
I'm not arguing with you, but how do you know he spun a bearing...couldn't it be a bent rod??

I spun a bearing in my car but it was making a knocking sound which I figured was a rod and was just going to drive the car until it puked. Then 20 minutes later I'm just cruising down the road and there was this disgusting squeal and the car shut down. Wasn't that the "spinning of the bearing."
Naw man, a bent rod would pretty much cause the engine to cease up and not allow the car to drive for very long.

99SilverCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check Out The Pics

what's up
yeah I definitely spun a bearing
dropped the oil pan and it looked like i hit a gold mine
there were golden brass shavings everywhere
since I didn't have much $$$$$ i just got another D16Y7 from a junk yard with 300k miles on it lol for $200
rebuilt it with all new gaskets, my tranny, my intake manifold etc., and my exhaust and put it right in
took me about 3 days because I was still working my job and hitching rides to and from
but anyways, HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF THE SWAP ETC...

so now i'm building a ls-vtec swap while my car is running with that D16,
want to swap that junk for something decent lol

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99SilverCX said:
what's up
yeah I definitely spun a bearing
dropped the oil pan and it looked like i hit a gold mine
there were golden brass shavings everywhere
since I didn't have much $$$$$ i just got another D16Y7 from a junk yard with 300k miles on it lol for $200
rebuilt it with all new gaskets, my tranny, my intake manifold etc., and my exhaust and put it right in
took me about 3 days because I was still working my job and hitching rides to and from
but anyways, HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF THE SWAP ETC...

so now i'm building a ls-vtec swap while my car is running with that D16,
want to swap that junk for something decent lol
so what prize do i win for being the 1st person to answer ur problem correctly? lol, j/k. keep us posted on that ls-vtec build bro :D