Engine making a rattle noise. Help!

Bougie

5+ Year Member
Ok as soon as I start my car up, my engine starts to make this rattleing noise and when I press on the gas very slightly the rattle becomes faster, but then stops when my RPM comes close to 2k or so... My oil is fine, and the sound seems to be coming fromt the engine itself when i had the hood up checking it. Now I don't know much about cars, so I can't pine point the location for you guys but if someone has any ideas of what it could be please let me know. Thanks

xzodiackillerx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heat sheild on the exhaust ? mine was like that ... ripped it off and it doesnt rattle anymore!

Sm0ked0uTCiViC

Suck Ass Evil Pooper!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
One time a while back i worked on a h22 that had a nasty rattling noise! I pinpointed the noise to the right side of the engine where all the acc belts are, Once i started to dig deeper i found it to be the bearings in the oil pump went bad! It was a nasty sound! I replaced the oil pump and it was fine!

snoob

9k RPM and 1+ Lateral G
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when my buddy first bought his 4door gsr off this old lady, at like a certain rpm it would make this terrible rattling noise. we traced it down to the header, so we pulled off the heat shield. NOTHING, so we listened again at it was still comming from his header... intrestingly enough when we put his greddy header on, it stopped. i guess something was rattling around in there :(

RATTLES kill my inner child.. AND my spirited drives.

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
xzodiackillerx said:
heat sheild on the exhaust ? mine was like that ... ripped it off and it doesnt rattle anymore!
thats most likely it. mines doing the same thing (at around 1100-1200 you can hear a little knock but at around 1800 i can pin point it to the heat shield) but im getting a valve adjustment just to be safe

ItsAnEP3

Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine had a rattling noise at one time and it ended up being my alternator bolt being loose.

clover ej6

i r mekanik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine was the same thing. I yanked off my heat shield ad that was it.

Bougie

5+ Year Member
sweet well i'll try the heat shield, hope it works out i'lllet you know on the results

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could also be the header heat shield..i had that proba nd it was drinving me nuts cuz my exhaust heat shield was fine and rock solid
take a cloth and push down where you're header heat shield is bolted on
it might be that

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 6th gen. 1.6 SOHC VTEC in a '99 EX sedan 5-speed and I think the heat sheild is rattling. Can I just tightten it? Should I use a lock washer or Locktight?

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WOW checked tightness of upper bolts on heat sheild and they were fine. Still had the rattle so pulled the sheild off and the WHOLE bottom braket rusted off!!