Engine mount bolt removal problems (for drive belt replacement)

upnorthguy

5+ Year Member
I'm trying to replace the drive belts on my 1996 Civic CX (3 dr hatchback, AT).

To remove the bottom belt, you need to remove the bolts from the cam shaft engine mount. Both bolts loosened a few revolutions then bound up and, apparently, broke the nut free on the top side. As a result, both bolts now spin freely and cannot be removed.

The problem of course is the nut is buried inside a little box frame section so I am unable to get a wrench/socket on it. I read somewhere that the nuts were likely tack welded in place so the weld probably broke.

I am thinking I will have to drill/cut a hole next to or above the nut so I can hold it while I remove the bolt.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue and have any suggestions?

upnorthguy

5+ Year Member
Actually, the bolts I am working on are for the camshaft dampener, not the engine mount.

Update: I made an access hole for the bolt closer to the front by drilling/dremeling an opening large enough for a socket with extension. This bolt is now out.
The bolt closer to the firewall is more challenging as it is under the engine mount bracket and there appears to be second parallel piece of steel inside the box cavity that was not above the front bolt. Still formulating a plan for this one.