Engine running Lean

03Civtec

5+ Year Member
So im driving a 1.6 Vtec 03 Petrol, and took the air filter out and switched it with an induction kit. Installed it, and the warning light came on. took it to a garage who said it was running lean, so i switched it all back and had no problems.
Why would it run lean? And how much if any, damage would it cause to run lean?

Also the guy said i shouldnt have it because it "wouldn't do much" and it was more for bigger engine cars :!:

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes he is rite it doesn't do much and its running lean probably because you did not reset the ECU.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the 7th Gen Civics are ANYTHING like the rest of the earlier model Civics, resetting the ECU wont do anything to help it from running lean. Simply putting an aftermarket air filter (or even intake for that matter) will not make a 1.6lt Honda run lean. Something else has to be going on.

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well you could buy a wideband, but that would be a waste of time. I'd get a compression tester and start there. Make sure your cylinder pressure is within spec. Usually from what i've seen if your running lean your compression is f**ked up, which could mean a host of things.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What induction kit did you get? Did it have a section for the MAF sensor?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how would that not effect the fuel more airflow so the computer compensates dumping more fuel.