Engine Starts then turns off right after..help please

SMiLeFoRSuPRa

5+ Year Member
ok so i have done some poking around on this website and on google but i cant find the answer everyone elses cars turns off about a min or 2 after. my coupe starts right away then cuts off. It did it to me about a week ago and then today while driving it just shut off...i didnt stall out lol it shut off very quietly ..Then it wont happen again and it runs perfectly...I have a 93 ex Coupe with about 200xxx miles if that helps spark plugs and wires are relatively new...Please help guys i dont want this problem to escalate. thanks=]

RonJ

Banned
When the engine stalls, are the dash warning lights on or off?

When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL remain on or turn off after 2 seconds?

SMiLeFoRSuPRa

5+ Year Member
when i put it on ON(II) the cel light remains on for about 2 secs exactly then shuts off... this only happens once every two weeks its pretty wierd. So if it remains on for 2 secs then shuts off its the ignition switch that needs to be replaced?

psychotic_civic

no...its supposed to stay on for 2sec then shut off. he is saying that your ign switch is going out so it needs to be replaced. it will not throw a code since its not ran off the ecu

RonJ

Banned
To avoid replacing parts unnecessarily, do some troubleshooting before buying an ignition switch. For example, when the engine dies, do the dash warning lights turn on or are they off?

ashley1728

5+ Year Member
my civic does this too.. like sometimes when i start it it just don't turn over, or it will then shuts off right away.. dont do it all the time, only once or twice a week it seems. sometime it'll shut off when im driving and when it does all my gauges drop but before my speedometer drops it shoots to between 80 and 120 then it drops .. would it be the ignition where it shuts off WHILE IN DRIVE?!