Engine swap help plz

CoupeNLD

I have a 97 coupe that had a d16y7 and im putting a d16z6 vtec in.
my questions are will the mounts match?
and the z6 came with it own harness can i use that harness also it seems alittle shorter than mine from the y7? Im getting a new ecu chipped from a local shop but which harness do i use?

thank u guys

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the mounts are the same, and you can use the z6 vtec harness to keep things simple so that you wont have to worry about adding in the wires for vtec (even though its pretty simple)

CoupeNLD

So y is the z6 harness shorter is there a connector harness to plug in the ecu that matches that up cause it won't reach where my ecu is now n the local performance shop who I'm buying the ecu from said I need the ecu n some connector or jumper harness?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
because the d16z6 is OBD1 and your y7 is OBD2. Thats why you need the jumper harness to connect to the ECU.

CoupeNLD

damnman i just talked to the guy from a local shop he said i have to use my y7 orginal harness and wire in the vtec and acouple other things is this true...... hes still trying to sell me a chipped ecu and jumper harness.... as said above i can use the z6 harness with jumper harness to ecu so which is true ?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can use either one...it depends on the ECU that you decide to use. If the wiring harness on the z6 is cut somewhere then you'd be forced to use your original harness, but if not, you can use the z6.

if you use the z6, then you need an obd1 to obd2 jumper harness to use it with an obd2 vtec ecu, or you can use an obd1 ecu or the chipped obd1 ecu your shop person is trying to sell you.

if you use your y7 harness, then you'll need to wire in vtec and do some more wiring because the z6 wont have the extra sensors that your original has and then use a obd2 vtec ecu......or......use the y7 harness, wire in vtec, and use a jumper harness to convert from obd2 to obd1 and use the chipped obd1 ecu.

so both are true.....like i said, the only reason you would HAVE to use your original wiring harness is if the d16z6 harness is cut and incomplete.

HA Motorsports

CHILD;3126141[b said:
]you can use either one...it depends on the ECU that you decide to use. If the wiring harness on the z6 is cut somewhere then you'd be forced to use your original harness, but if not, you can use the z6. [/b]

if you use the z6, then you need an obd1 to obd2 jumper harness to use it with an obd2 vtec ecu, or you can use an obd1 ecu or the chipped obd1 ecu your shop person is trying to sell you.

if you use your y7 harness, then you'll need to wire in vtec and do some more wiring because the z6 wont have the extra sensors that your original has and then use a obd2 vtec ecu......or......use the y7 harness, wire in vtec, and use a jumper harness to convert from obd2 to obd1 and use the chipped obd1 ecu.

so both are true.....like i said, the only reason you would HAVE to use your original wiring harness is if the d16z6 harness is cut and incomplete.
Wrong.

You cannot use a D16Z6 engine harness in a 97 chassis. Only 96-98 civic engine harnesses will work in the 96-98 chassis. This is because the engine harness on EK's go all the way directly to the ECU and also plug into the in cabin dash harness. OBD1 civic engine harnesses plug in at the shock towers only.

You will need to use the Y7 engine harness and modify it as needed to fit the Z6 engine. From there you will use this OBD2A to OBD1 ECU Harness to allow you to plug in the OBD1 P28 ECU into the OBD2A EK wire harness.

speedjunkie_g35

It is also illegal to put a older motor in a newer car. Legally you are only allowed to put the same year or newer engine in to a vehicle. You wont pass inspection if applicable in your state.

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
Wrong.

You cannot use a D16Z6 engine harness in a 97 chassis. Only 96-98 civic engine harnesses will work in the 96-98 chassis. This is because the engine harness on EK's go all the way directly to the ECU and also plug into the in cabin dash harness. OBD1 civic engine harnesses plug in at the shock towers only.

You will need to use the Y7 engine harness and modify it as needed to fit the Z6 engine. From there you will use this OBD2A to OBD1 ECU Harness to allow you to plug in the OBD1 P28 ECU into the OBD2A EK wire harness.

he is correct you will want to reuse your original harness(not the z6 harness) and also the jumper harness. but by modifying your harness you will need to either cut and splice plugs or attempt to reuse all your y7 parts(injectors/dist/sensors etc) that will probably be the easiest. I may be wrong but I believe you can use obd2 sensors and such with the p28 if not my bad and if thats the case you will need to cut and solder on your y7 plugs. I also believe that the output for the y7 injectors are the same for the z6. please correct me if im wrong

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sorry, i dont deal with the stock harnesses in the stock locations. I mix, match, move and convert.

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
sorry, i dont deal with the stock harnesses in the stock locations. I mix, match, move and convert.
well if this guy (no offense to the guy asking the questions) had the skill or knowledge to go to the extent you were suggesting he wouldnt be on here asking questions. not to be a d**k but typically if someone asks a question they will tell you if they want to build their own harness. otherwise you should assume they want as much plug n play as possible. clean hatch by the way child

and also the engine harness to the 92-95 civic is WAY different than the 96-00 and the 96-98 are diff from 99-00.

CoupeNLD

ok guys thanks for everything.... i got the harness back from the shop here the thing i thought the motor i was buying was a z6 but i was wrong its a y8 so i have a y8 engine and trans with a z6 harness and dizzy..... i connected the harness after the shop did some adjustments and got a p2p (i think its p2p) ecu. i have one connector i cant connect i dont think i have the sensor but its the evap solenoid.... but the car started this morning but the idle is really bad it sounds like i have a super cam in there lol what could cause that

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
ok guys thanks for everything.... i got the harness back from the shop here the thing i thought the motor i was buying was a z6 but i was wrong its a y8 so i have a y8 engine and trans with a z6 harness and dizzy..... i connected the harness after the shop did some adjustments and got a p2p (i think its p2p) ecu. i have one connector i cant connect i dont think i have the sensor but its the evap solenoid.... but the car started this morning but the idle is really bad it sounds like i have a super cam in there lol what could cause that
check engine light? codes? are you sure its a z6 harness cuz that is not PNP harness.
nm if the harness came with the y8 its probably a y8 harness. give us as much details as possible

CoupeNLD

well i took the harness from my car and the harness from the motor and took it to a local performance shop and he worked his magic and switched everything i need from the motor harness to my y7 harness and he gave me the new ecu alsI do have a CEL on havent checked yet just got off work i will check in the morning but i found something i think is wierd i was talking to a honda buddie of mine and he said check my iacv and spray it with brake clean well i just removed it and found this.........

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

By vteccoupenld at 2011-07-28

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
well i took the harness from my car and the harness from the motor and took it to a local performance shop and he worked his magic and switched everything i need from the motor harness to my y7 harness and he gave me the new ecu also
well I am not sure what he actually did to be honest so without more info i have no idea. do you know what year the engine you got was from?

CoupeNLD

the guy i bought the motor from said its a z6 harness n dizzy everything else is a y8 so thats what i took the shop when i gave him that harness and the one from y7 which is my car and i installed the new harness already and everything is connected except the evap solenoid cause i dont have one on the car......

CoupeNLD

98 civic thats all he told me but he also said it has aem adjustable cam gear not sure if anything else is changed or if its all stock he didnt say

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
98 civic thats all he told me but he also said it has aem adjustable cam gear not sure if anything else is changed or if its all stock he didnt say
ok nothing off the z6 harness should of been used except maybe the vtec you should try and get a y8 dist and parts

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
well i took the harness from my car and the harness from the motor and took it to a local performance shop and he worked his magic and switched everything i need from the motor harness to my y7 harness and he gave me the new ecu alsI do have a CEL on havent checked yet just got off work i will check in the morning but i found something i think is wierd i was talking to a honda buddie of mine and he said check my iacv and spray it with brake clean well i just removed it and found this.........

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

By vteccoupenld at 2011-07-28
get a new one sorry didnt see this earlier