Engine Swap (not a stupid thread!)

98hatchfreak

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys! I have a 98 CX hatch and I am going to be getting the b16a2 engine swap at the end of the year (Christmas), and I was just wondering if there is anything that any of ya'll would highly recommend doing before I drop the engine into the car. Also. should i try to sell my old D16? would it be worth it? how much would i get? any kind of feedback of any kind from any one would be muy bueno!

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you could probably get like $200 for your cx motor.

and i cant really think of any preppin for putting the engine in the car, i would say suspension but i dont think the b16 weighs enough to make a difference over stock suspension or what you already have.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would go with a B18C1, or a B1

98hatchfreak

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
never thought about that, how does everything compare to the b16? (price, hp, torque, etc.)?

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
B16s don't make any torque. I have a D16Y8 and I make almost as much torque as a B16A2. Get a B18C1...you will enjoy it more. If you want to be cool get a B18B1 or a B20.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you will need to get a stiffer front suspension or your front-end will bounce all over the place..... your stock springs will not be able to handle the increase in weight.

98hatchfreak

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aight, will I need stiffer front suspension for any engine I get or jst a specific few? More info is needed!

CFactor

Why am I such a pimp?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wrong forum man. Try either the engine forum or the 6th gen forum - not rides.

98hatchfreak

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WAKE UP CFactor! This is the 6th Gen forum, so get off my nuts, and get out of my thread unless you intend on helping me! I don't come into your threads and start bitchin at you about being in the wrong forum, and, furthermore, I am in one of the two CORRECT forums.

EVIL-cIvIc

P.I.M.P (BrONzE MeMbEr)
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea u'll need new front end suspension springs and possible new mounds due to the additional weight of the b16A2. However ur horsepower wil increase by alot. If u go with a b18A1(GSR) or a B16B1(TYPE R) u will have alot more horsepower then a b16A2 but it will cost some more money

CFactor

Why am I such a pimp?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by 98hatchfreak
WAKE UP CFactor! This is the 6th Gen forum, so get off my nuts, and get out of my thread unless you intend on helping me! I don't come into your threads and start bitchin at you about being in the wrong forum, and, furthermore, I am in one of the two CORRECT forums.
wow you're as tempermental as a four year old child. I was stating not flaming you smart one. And by the way do you see members rides at the top beside 6th gen? thought so.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by EVIL-cIvIc
yea u'll need new front end suspension springs and possible new mounds due to the additional weight of the b16A2. However ur horsepower wil increase by alot. If u go with a b18A1(GSR) or a B16B1(TYPE R) u will have alot more horsepower then a b16A2 but it will cost some more money
need to rethink those motor codes man...:roll:

B18C1 = teg gsr (92-93 gsr = B17)
B18C5 = teg type R
B16B = civic type r

Just to clear it up for ya....no hard feelings.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would go for new shocks and springs (or coilovers) before you go and swap. A B16 would be great...but I think (like I said earlyer) you will be happier with a B18 (alot more torque).

CFactor

Why am I such a pimp?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you plan on going turbo go for the b16 if you want NA go for the b18cs. A b18b would be a good turbo engine also.

EVIL-cIvIc

P.I.M.P (BrONzE MeMbEr)
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by 99ExCoupe
need to rethink those motor codes man...:roll:

B18C1 = teg gsr (92-93 gsr = B17)
B18C5 = teg type R
B16B = civic type r

Just to clear it up for ya....no hard feelings.

Opps i mean B18C1 (GSR) my bad

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
honest mistakes...just don't wanna send n00bs off with the wrong info...