Engine swap Opinions needed..

gotz02skate

5+ Year Member
so crunch time is coming money wise.. and i AM getting rid of this d16y7 under my hood... It was last years new years resolution and ive got a couple months left... k20 is out of the question ( im not baaaaalling)
GSR is also out of the question....

I massively desire a turbo how ever i live in cali and plan on moving to Northern cali where they are anal about boosted rice rockets..

so its down to Pure Engine with typical mods such as i/h/e clutch/flywheel

i was looking at a Sir2 B16a 2nd GEN pushing 170hp for 2,400 firm (shop including warranty labor etc)

there is the sir1 b16 First gen pushing 158 for 2,000 firm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
car is a daily driver.
not Raced but if some one pulls up next to me on the freeway i want to hold my own.
any engines yall think would be good for me or should i stick to the intial plan for the 2nd gen 170hp

97 civic Dx

gotz02skate

5+ Year Member
Actually on 2nd thought... i just did some looking at a D15b... hella Affordable! and tune it on like 6-8 psi and ill be Super ass set with 200 hp good enuff for me.... Gonna build my own turbo set up... any one have any suggestions?? Injectors as well?

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so crunch time is coming money wise.. and i AM getting rid of this d16y7 under my hood... It was last years new years resolution and ive got a couple months left... k20 is out of the question ( im not baaaaalling)
GSR is also out of the question....

I massively desire a turbo how ever i live in cali and plan on moving to Northern cali where they are anal about boosted rice rockets..

so its down to Pure Engine with typical mods such as i/h/e clutch/flywheel

i was looking at a Sir2 B16a 2nd GEN pushing 170hp for 2,400 firm (shop including warranty labor etc)

there is the sir1 b16 First gen pushing 158 for 2,000 firm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
car is a daily driver.
not Raced but if some one pulls up next to me on the freeway i want to hold my own.
any engines yall think would be good for me or should i stick to the intial plan for the 2nd gen 170hp

97 civic Dx

SIR2 for the win..

gotz02skate

5+ Year Member
k what about SIR2 Vs Jdm b15B Turbo..
both prolly cost me the same amount.. around 2400 after all is said n done

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in your first post you mentioned the trouble with being boosted in norcal, so id keep that in mind and go with the b16a

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in your first post you mentioned the trouble with being boosted in norcal, so id keep that in mind and go with the b16a
:word:

gotz02skate

5+ Year Member
true =(.. its hard... so many options.. and boost is sooo much fun.. and 2400 is a ton for me to dish out at once....thanks fellas

jazzyJAE

Pandora's box
Actually on 2nd thought... i just did some looking at a D15b... hella Affordable! and tune it on like 6-8 psi and ill be Super ass set with 200 hp good enuff for me.... Gonna build my own turbo set up... any one have any suggestions?? Injectors as well?
i bought my civic with a d15b in it, and since a d15 comes from an older honda, my smog guy was telling me its against CARB or BAR regulations to have older engines in newer cars, because the emissions systems. but im not too sure if there's a way to do it and keep it smog legal

N20b20

i would take the d and boost it...i lived in nor cal my whole life and there are plenty of boost hondas and acuras out there but if u r trying to hold ur own u wont do it with 200hp

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i ran a open downpipe turbo car in northern california for a couple months...haha

gotz02skate

5+ Year Member
i think i am going to do the b15... buy a cheap turbo kit.. replace the Turbo with a half ass decent one..
boost it to 200 hp.. and Call it a wrap...

going from 107 stock y7 Hp to 200 hp.. is a major jump from me.. i think i could take most a handful of these cars that pull up next to me..

honestly the only thing that has really murdered me is a De-branded Evo that kept blowing off next to me..
and a sleeper civic that just so happen to of had a turbo :-p

and all i got on my y7 is Ebay heads, Full cat, greddy evo2 muff, and a upgraded clutch kit with a f**ked tranny =p
my rice banger pulls :-) thanks for the advice fellas.. b15 Turbo =)

gotz02skate

5+ Year Member
Hey are all D-15b Vtec Engines OBD -1??

I have a p2p Ecu- Will it work??
and a y7 tranny -i read the y7 will work but its better to get the tranny to match the engine it was made for.

Ej8civic96

hi i have a 96 honda civic ex vtec iit auto i am tired of auto want something fun i looked up and found a good price on an engine its a b16a vtec with5 speed tranny i want to know whaat will i need to have this swamp please help me i have a person who can remove and out it the eninge but i want everything ready so he can do it insted of waiting for parts please help thanks or just change my auto tranny with a 5 speed need info on what parts i will need for that thank

gotz02skate

5+ Year Member
a vague parts list for that b16 swap

matching Ecu for the b16
Mounts for the b16
B16 Wire harness
now that your car is currently Auto and its a 5 speed tranny i feel its safe to say u would have to perform a sex change to change the car from Auto to Manuel .. That you should google... i.e 97 civic sex change

Ive heard mix reviews on that.. some people says its cheaper to sell your car and just buy a 5 speed civic.
Others say its good if you know people and can get the parts cheapers.. whether it be deals/ steals/ or junk yards..

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a vague parts list for that b16 swap

matching Ecu for the b16
Mounts for the b16
B16 Wire harness do not need
OBD-2 to OBD-1 conversion harness

now that your car is currently Auto and its a 5 speed tranny i feel its safe to say u would have to perform a sex change to change the car from Auto to Manuel .. That you should google... i.e 97 civic sex change

Ive heard mix reviews on that.. some people says its cheaper to sell your car and just buy a 5 speed civic.
Others say its good if you know people and can get the parts cheapers.. whether it be deals/ steals/ or junk yards..

Ej8civic96

im looking for a trade but if it comes to it i whould buy the 5 speed tranny because i had already started to modifiy the car has full buddy club exhauat dc headers megan cat rear lower control arm red jdm n alot of stuff spent most like 4500 on it so idk what i shoukd do my gf said keep it and just do a sex change from auto to stick shift i can find a tranny at the junk yard but i heard and of course i will need the 3 pedals the tranny and can i get a ecu my car has vtec so do i have to find a 5 speed ecu thats vtec too ?.. what else whould i need to do the sex change ? and i will be saving money because the junk yard i go to wants i belive 200 or 3 for the whole trans

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should search because this has been answered several times, but yes you a manual ecu or convert ur auto ecu, you'll need pedal assembly, clutch slave and master cylinder, clutch line, clutch and pressure plate, shifter, shifty linkage and other stuff that I'm too lazy to write (on my cell)

gotz02skate

5+ Year Member
so i just Blew my transmission on my y7 yesterday.. Phabulous timing...(not really)
so i went and turned inall my pennies and got a d15b Vtec with ecu & tranny converted to obd1 boost ready..

only question im curious on.. every engine place says their engines are with less than 40k miles.. how do we know this...?