Engine swap question :/

Cee

So ignore my very small, but growing knowledge and understanding of my car.

So i have 1994 Civic EX coupe and was wondering what engine would be best to put in to go faster and possible be decent on gas if that relates. and will putting a engine from a civic hatchback si work better in the coupe? or will it not provide a difference?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Search either this forum or :google:, then figure out YOUR budget!

This basic question has been answered 1,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx times over.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to my knowledge the 92-95 coupe EX trim has the same motor (D16Z6) as the 92 si.... so there would be no benefit.

The next step is B-series or turbocharging the D16. Read all the stickies in the forum and then base your opinion.

good luck and welcome.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok... i guess ill go browse.. since i dont know what im doing..
For f**ks sake, how do you think ppl figured things out BEFORE the internet.
With all the search tools and functions right in front of you, how hard can it be.

First and foremost, have you even figured out a budget of what you can realistically spend?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For f***s sake, how do you think ppl figured things out BEFORE the internet.
With all the search tools and functions right in front of you, how hard can it be.

First and foremost, have you even figured out a budget of what you can realistically spend?
No point in flaming, dude. Give him some advice...

Honestly, you have a boatload of options. A B-series will garner good power, won't cost an arm and a leg, and is a direct bolt in with mounts. A K-series motor will net a bit more power and fuel mileage, but will cost a lot. It's all a matter of budget, in all honesty!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No point in flaming, dude. Give him some advice...
There is a point, when it seems like he took 0 initiative to even attempt to search and comes back with a "poor me " attitude.:roll:, which I have 0 patience for.
I don't mind helping ppl, but if you're not willing to help yourself, I'm not spoon feeding you.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A B-Series motor would be your best bang for the buck, the power ceiling is higher and adjustable with mods and is a direct bolt in.

Cee

thanks to those who gave me some advice but to mr baker, i honestly have been looking at these forums for awhile with the little time i can use at night too actually search for some answers to my never ending questions.

I just got into the car scene and have been learning quite a bit from my dad and from the internet through videos, and forums.
Learning about all these different engines and modifications that i can do to my car.

I said that post early because i didnt know exactly what i should type in too look for these answers. I didnt know the proper question to ask to get the answer i needed. I know some of the answers now but jeez... Cant expect me to be a master without being a apprentice..

Anyways, I was looking at the mini-me swap, and im not too entirely sure as to all the specifications of it, but what are the exact gains by doing that type of swap? if anyone knows. Thanks.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You already have an ex so a mini me swap would be a downgrade and less reliable. Heres a couple cheater links, now go search, its not hard hell all I searched for the first link was "civic engine swap" and thats the first link in google:
http://www.hondahookup.com/info/engine_swap_faq.php

http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=217

Now if you come back and tell us your actual budget and power goals we may be able to help you, but read through both those links first

Javier.San1993

thanks to those who gave me some advice but to mr baker, i honestly have been looking at these forums for awhile with the little time i can use at night too actually search for some answers to my never ending questions.

I just got into the car scene and have been learning quite a bit from my dad and from the internet through videos, and forums.
Learning about all these different engines and modifications that i can do to my car.

I said that post early because i didnt know exactly what i should type in too look for these answers. I didnt know the proper question to ask to get the answer i needed. I know some of the answers now but jeez... Cant expect me to be a master without being a apprentice..

Anyways, I was looking at the mini-me swap, and im not too entirely sure as to all the specifications of it, but what are the exact gains by doing that type of swap? if anyone knows. Thanks.
Agreed with Mr. Juice over here:agreed:

Mini-me swaps are very unreliable, and you would actually lose power due to having a smaller block. What I suggest is going B16 if you don't want to spend too much, but B18C1/B18C5 if you can afford that! Going K20 is not worth it in my honest opinion; more money, more effort to make the bay fit the motor... B-series engines can easily be dropped into a 5th-Gen bay with the proper motor mounts. Also, it's a better daily-driver motor than a noisy K20.

And don't worry man, we all started somewhere near where you are now; but like you said, with more time comes more knowledge! :domollama:

Cee

as for the budget. im not planning on doing this fast or anything since its my daily driver and i do plan on keeping this as a daily driver but with a little bit of a kick for those times when i feel like it. budget wise how much would $1500 do me for? i will i need more?

Culberson

condoms prevent minivans
as for the budget. im not planning on doing this fast or anything since its my daily driver and i do plan on keeping this as a daily driver but with a little bit of a kick for those times when i feel like it. budget wise how much would $1500 do me for? i will i need more?
with that kind of budget you might be better off starting to part together a turbo system for the D16. check your local craigslist or junkyard there might be a decent engine or two there for a good price.

welcome to CC though,sorry bout the overly warm welcome you got but its nice to see it didnt scare you off haha

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
throw a ls in and call it a day IMHO. If you need more power l8r turbo it and if thats not enough get a K series and build it , sleeve it, and boost it. You need to have a platform to start on before anything OP. Asking which is the best motor on this forum is like asking which came first the chicken or the egg because most of the answers on based on opinions instead of facts. If motors and money where not an option someone could say put in a LS1 or a 2JZ-GTE. OP if you have any questions feel free to PM me

Cee

Agreed with Mr. Juice over here:agreed:

Mini-me swaps are very unreliable, and you would actually lose power due to having a smaller block. What I suggest is going B16 if you don't want to spend too much, but B18C1/B18C5 if you can afford that! Going K20 is not worth it in my honest opinion; more money, more effort to make the bay fit the motor... B-series engines can easily be dropped into a 5th-Gen bay with the proper motor mounts. Also, it's a better daily-driver motor than a noisy K20.

And don't worry man, we all started somewhere near where you are now; but like you said, with more time comes more knowledge! :domollama:
Thanks,

anyways i checked into the first link which i found to be very very helpful and im probably going to research that more, but as for a quick question since i discovered something else in my car.

I noticed that the odometer inaccurately states the distance i've actually traveled by alot:!: I went from 1 red light to another (about a quarter mile) and it read that distance as 7 or so miles 'o.o which blew my mind.
i looked it up a bit online inbetween my break at work and it seems the common problem is that the speedometer would also not be working correctly with the odometer following up.

In my situation the speedometer and odometer both work, but the odometer inaccurately calculates the distance i've traveled in reality. The check engine light isnt on so i dont know what i should be looking for to find the problem.
Thanks in advance.