engine swap question????

strictlybusines

5+ Year Member
postal21 said:
I agree with NOFX, JDM-hype on the engines is dumb.

You pay more for the JDM-goodness, but you dont really have any idea what youre getting. Everywhere claims that since in japan people drive their cars less the cars obviously are going to have less mileage on them. Still do the math, some of these motors are 10-15 years old now... you think they still have only 30k miles on them? Plus, there is always going to be people who drive their car more then other people, because they have the means to do it... if someone can afford an integra type-r, im sure the taxes to drive the car more miles mean less to them. And think about if its a newer motor... why is it already on the shores of the US? Person just got rid of it that fast? I Find some of the JDM-motor-dealings quite fishy myself.

JDM engines are low milage because the emissions in japan and china are hardcore if they fail the engine has to be replaced that is why they love electric. I got my B16B and it really has only 16,000 on it i checked the cam and crank wear, ect. They sell the engine and tranny to us for 4200 us dollars and they buy a new motor and tranny with no miles for five grand us. they really win big. some are out of wrecks too. also it is too damn slow to drive there because of the people on the streets. visit then talk s**t i guess. oh well i love my engine and beat stock preludes with my stock b16b civic type r

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Unless you're planning to tune in the future, there's no reason ont to go with the OBDII swap. YOu said you wanted a cheap swap to make your car a little bit better than it currently is. That would make me immediately think OBDII USDM swap with a hydro tranny. I really think the B18B LS swap would be just about perfect.

Anyway, some links for you. Random info for OBD2 cars with an OBD1 motor.

OBD2 to OBD1-Motor swap
OBD2 to OBD1-Motor swap
obd2 to obd1 swap??
Going to swap my OBD2 B16 to OBD1 JDM B16. Need some advice.
obd1 swap in an obd2 car
HELP...anyone swap a obd1 motor into your obd2 car?
Oh God...What have I done. JDM LS (OBD1) swap into USDM EJ6 (OBD2)
97 Civic b18c swap, obd1 or obd2
obd1 LS swap in obd2 sohc car. . . . what do i need to change LOOK inside

dipset891

whats really good?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i i were to get a B16A obd 1 and try to fit it in my 97ex civ would i have to get the ECU too? or could i use my stock one

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have been thinking about a motor swap also for the same reason....a lil better than what i have....i also want to convert to 5 speed cause it is auto right now and i don't know if it will be worth it and if i can do it for kinda cheap

nurevEKcivic00

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
b16 or b18 would be the best bet, k20 u have to do almost 8 grand in mods iv figured, h22 you have to do mods to also, so b18 or b16 woulnt have near as many mods as the other motors