engine swap times???

91sib16

5+ Year Member
hey me and my buddy have 1990 civics but he has a dx and i got a si my si motor is blown and the dx motor needs a head gasket so i found 2 Si motors for $500 so we want to she who can do it faster how long u think it will take???

95gainfla

5+ Year Member
my first swap took just about all day. now I can probably do one sohc-sohc/dohc-dohc in 3 hours or so.

so basically it depends on your experience and what kind of problems you may run into.

EF Honda EF

dont let time be a factor in your swap. if you dont hit any problems then it usually is quick. But plan for problems. Dont worry about doing it fast.A sohc swap is pretty easy any way.

Rex_89

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Trust me, its almost guarenteed that your gonna run into some kind of little problem. Any time I try to give my self a time frame on simple ass things, when your working with a car, there is no telling what can go wrong. I would just make sure I did it right over fast.

plazmascivic

rockin those D's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ditto that rex_89 im doin a sohc vtec swap in mine jdm d15b-vtec and i forgot that i needed to convert over form dpfi so ya make sure that u study what ur doing a lot, we were goin to drop it in and my friend looked at my old engine and said wait is ur old one dpfi and i remembered o s**t! so ya take ur time study everything ur gonna do and do it right.

90_EF9_VTEC

JDM D15B
5+ Year Member
basically everything was said. just know what your doing and study before you do it. depending on how much knowledge you know and how much expierience you have with what your doing usally results in how fast you get it done

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if i was rushing to get the s**t done, it would probably take me 4 hours start-finish to swap d-series. thats just a guess. the fastest i've ever pulled a motor was 14 minutes (after fluids were drained) with two people.