Engine Swap?

dabz1981

5+ Year Member
So... i'm thinking about putting a new engine in my car - 2000 civic Lx auto 95k miles no mods. why? i want something quicker/faster/more powerfull than the stock 106 hp...no i dont want to buy another car, it's pretty clean and in good shape anyway this is new to me so i would like to know what engines are a good option? wil if be direct fit? can i keep the same transmission? whats a good reliable site to buy from? will any engine work? i want to keep it automatic because i heard it's a hassle to do auto/manual swaps.. but correct me if i'm wrong. any advice/recommendation would be appreciated. thanks

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just add a 50 shot.

Since its auto, you wont be able to make decent power... any engine that bolts up to your slushbox will be slow as well.

If you want to see any performance, you will need to swap out to manual plus whatever engine you decide.

Theres hundreds of threads for swaps. just need to search around and figure out your HP goal and your budget.

dabz1981

5+ Year Member
The transmission answer was helpfull i did not know that. .cool thanks i'll dig around some more

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It CAN be a pain to do an auto/manual swap... but it's not that bad. When we did the conversion at another guy on this site's house, it took the weekend. The toughest part for us was getting the manual pedal assembly in. I'm not going to mention the one problem we had with an input shaft bearing, because it pisses me off just to think of it lol. But other than that, it went fairly smooth. Make sure you know someone who has experience or has done it before, and it shouldn't be too bad.

The guy who helped/did most of the work on mine has a sticky for a parts list right at the top of the 6th gen section... give it a read. Total $ for the swap was ~$400 after EVERYTHING, including the transmission, and all little misc parts..

EDIT: Link to parts list: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=157624

ej_swag

Häagen-Dazs
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Most reputable engine place to buy from seems to be www.hmotorsonline.com.

I bought from them as well, shipping was pretty damn cheap, and engine was clean as a whistle.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just add a 50 shot.

Since its auto, you wont be able to make decent power... any engine that bolts up to your slushbox will be slow as well.

If you want to see any performance, you will need to swap out to manual plus whatever engine you decide.

Theres hundreds of threads for swaps. just need to search around and figure out your HP goal and your budget.
This.

As he said, you may want to consider nitrous or another method of forced induction.

What's your budget?

epic_civic

Hey guys, a buddy of mine is selling a 98 lx 5spd with a blown motor, and i was just wondering if I would be able to swap a b16a2 into it? If so what all would I have to change to have it fit?

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hey guys, a buddy of mine is selling a 98 lx 5spd with a blown motor, and i was just wondering if I would be able to swap a b16a2 into it? If so what all would I have to change to have it fit?
Sure you could swap in a b16 but it seems you will need to do a bunch of research. There are many different things that go into a swap so research first and swap later. Also do yourself a favor and pick up a shop manual for your car.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Don't waste your money on a b16, you will be greatly disappointed.

Honestly, i would just look into either a d16z6 (with 5spd) swap, or a d16y8 (with 5spd) swap. They'll both feel much faster than what you've got, and while they're not the fastest things around they have a decent amount of power and are at least capable of getting out of their own way.

DOPEYBOY247

5+ Year Member
if it were me, I would save some money, sell my current car and buy a faster car. With the money I would spend on a swap and auto/manual conversion I would rather buy a slightly faster car from the start.. like a 99/00 Si. just my opinion

Unless you really like your current car and you want to build it up..

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if it were me, I would save some money, sell my current car and buy a faster car. With the money I would spend on a swap and auto/manual conversion I would rather buy a slightly faster car from the start.. like a 99/00 Si. just my opinion

Unless you really like your current car and you want to build it up..
This isnt very cost effective at all if he just swaps in a better single cam (contradicting, i know... better single cam? rofl, lol j/k) since they can be had for $300-$500 for complete swaps, then he'd probably spend another $200-$300 in 5spd swap parts (5spd pedals, clutch master/line, linkage, etc.). All in all totaling probably right around $1000 after fluids and misc. consumables.

Young gunna

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how would he be dissapointed swapping in a B16A2? the B16A2 has 70 more horsepower than his Lx d-series.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how would he be dissapointed swapping in a B16A2? the B16A2 has 70 more horsepower than his Lx d-series.
Horsepower is a made up number derived from torque. HP numbers are meaningless.. anyways, everyone should know the B16 is garbage. Its just a 1.6 liter engine that can rev for days. If it were boosted, then it can make some good numbers.. its still 15.7 seconds in the 1/4th which isnt too good in reality

Young gunna

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the B16A2 isn't a garbage motor, it's a quick motor. you may need to mod it a little but that's the whole point of the swap and building your car up. Out of the B-series engines it's one of the best ones

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the B16A2 isn't a garbage motor, it's a quick motor. you may need to mod it a little but that's the whole point of the swap and building your car up. Out of the B-series engines it's one of the best ones
b16's are junk. I can't count the number of times I've seen a z6 or Y8 single jammer with bolt ons, beat up on b16's with bolt ons.

Even boosted 1.6L honda motors aren't cutting it these days. Two friends of mine with pretty much identical setups (built, boosted b16's, both doing 405-410WHP and 250-260WTQ) and they both have problems building boost once they get into 4th gear going down the track. One is on a CTR tranny, the other is on a b16a2 trans.

There is absolutely no replacement for displacement, the saying will always hold true. Take identical setups and bore one out to a slightly larger displacement, it'll make more power; guaranteed.

The ultimate point, a b16a2 has 10 more HP (at the crank), and the same tq (at the crank) as a d16y8, for over double the price of what a y8 would cost.

Young gunna

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
B16A2 does not have just 10 more horespower at the crank, i know a guy with a B16A2 pullin 450 horespower and he can get his car going like no other, it's a good engine. sorry your boys aren't gettin it on the track but for this guys swap it would be well worth it.