engine torque damper?

ruff_ridaz99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey..crossed over this item on cardomain..that cat had it on his civic..says it improves handling and performance..what ya'll think?..worth the $125-$130 shipped?

Engine Torque Damper

A self-contained elastomeric shock that mounts on brackets between the engine and the chassis. It reduces extreme engine movement and dampens the motion, providing many benefits. The “Stiffy” was originally intended for the sport compact market, but can be used for some Hot Rod applications if it is applied correctly.

BENEFITS: Greatly improved off-the-line acceleration. Reduced wheel hop. Improved vehicle stability. Reduced shock loads on driveline components. Smoother shifting. Reduced wear on exhaust system joints. Less vibration transmission to the driver compared to polyurethane motor mounts. Less shock load, compared to torque straps and chains. Drifting – helps reduce shock loads when wheels gain traction. Reduces motor movement – decreases the chance of motor parts rubbing against the hood and frame.

stolle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not worth it, just get some polyurethane inserts they work fine...

ruff_ridaz99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stolle said:
not worth it, just get some polyurethane inserts they work fine...

hahaha..what's that? polyurethane inserts..where do they go?

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to me it would be worth it, its a simple install. the mm inserts are better but they are a b***h to install. especially the rear mounts. i have a 00 si and the 99-00 si are known to blow the driver side mounts. the engine torque damper would help prevent that.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its a band aid solution to a problem that needs surgery. honda motor mounts, especially old ones, are notoriously flexy. that damper may slightly slow the engines movement, but it only works in one direction. the motor moves all over the place during acceleration, turning, and braking. if you want performance, a good set of real aftermarket mounts is the only solution. mount inserts and dampers wont do a lot (although id much rather have a set of inserts than that damper, they are far more effective and they cost less).

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would get one of those. It aint the best to reduce all movement, but its a small solution to reducing minor engine movement during hard acceleration.

Its a cool dress-up part in the bay though.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i recently purcahsed one form nr-g innovatios, however mine is made for a 92-95 civic, which is fine, though i need to get a bracket that is made for the 90-93 teg b18a, but they don't make them yet so i'm screwed till the do, since i can't mount it until then, though it only cost me $46.00.

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Some guy in another forum told me he loved his Stiffy engine damper... for the short 6 months it lasted. After which it broke to pieces.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
alot of nissan use them as well.