England and local surrounding counties, question on a few things

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i know i have a thread but this is more about car parts
what is the main issue with you guys getting them online? will they not ship, is the shipping too expensive
what? just curious becuase some know im moving over there in june
and coming from the states

what are the main things i could sell there to make me a small profit, yes id like to help others but with teh conversion rate i really dont have to charge more but well the english pound owns my dollar
so i could sell for hte same i paid but really make money since ur dollar is worth more

but what are things yall cant get, i deal mostly with hondas but i can get other parts
i have a homie in japan so he can ship to me free, but not like huge things
there is prob some limit

i can also buy some things in bulk and bring them with me, what are people over there looking for
ill have some other parts from my car for sale as well too when i get there

also is england big into quarter mile racing, do yall have a lot of drag strips
im mostly into the street but id like to get some times for the E haters when im there

what the usual cost is it crowded.. ill be in the swindon area
know anything nearby

phuzzit

Phuzzit - jj-
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the local track is sanapod (not sure on spelling), the track sucks to be honest - big traction problem, but the crowd on the big race days is HUGE. You can go on off days and run all day for like 15 pounds i think. There is also 2 different road course up by theftford if i remeber, havent been yet. But there is a goup of us going this summer, and thats what i am into also. Hit me up when you get here and ill show you.
I am military also, and getting things here is not that big a problem, its just the cost is so high with the flip from dallor to pound. You could sell anything given you sell it cheaper, than local shops (which there isnt alot) and youll still make money. As what to bring? Not sure...... I need a new d16y8 if wanna bring me one lol
As far as locals - to me you have two major crowds here - just like the states, Looks and Go. And there is way more people just into looks then go around here. Most the jap imports are all go, but youll see alot of skylines and other hard to find cars with not much done to them and own on them all day with a well tuned honda.
Hit me up on aim sometime.....

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I haven't much experience buying stuff from the states, most stuff I can get through UK distys, and if they don't have it they can source it from america. They sort out all the importing, tax and stuff. My rear lights came from Matrix Racing in Cali, I ordered from funkyproduct online, five days later it was delivered. My brother in law recently got a Goodwin Racing system for his miata from America, no trouble there either. I don't know. What does everyone else have a problem with?

Engine is what i'm having trouble with - can't find any B series in scrapyard. Chuck one in your suitcase mate! j/k. Honda's don't seem to go to scrapyards or breakers in the south west.

Lots of Drag Strips - there called roads! But I feel you mean LEGAL ones. The only one I know of is Santa Pod. A couple of meets like Weston Wheels or Japfest might feature a 'Run what ye brung' makeshift strip but I think thats it. If someone knows of any others please let us know!!!

We do have a few tracks in the south though, Castle Combe and Mendip Raceway. Castle Combe is a good track, and they also have lots of events on. They also have an off road cource, kart track and skidpan. I don't know much about Mendip though. A bit further afield we have Silverstone, Brands Hatch and Thruxton.

Castle Combe

Santa Pod

British Racing Circuits

Abz

This is jus the beginning
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like you said the pound is a lot stronger here...so you could make yourself a tidy profit. The problem with buying on-line stuff from states is that they charge too much shipping! some things come to the same price as over here after shipping.

Am in london, Swindon is about an Hour & a bit away from me I think...aint been there though (www.multimap.com) good tool to use if you looking for an area in the UK.

Like peeps said above you got people with a lot of show & no go... you get people who spend £10k on making there ride look good but then they running a 80bhp 1000cc engine. Different crowds here... but like all European its very much show! I admit myself mines very show car... but still got a nice lil D16Z6 to push me along.

I've been after a set of white dials for my 92 hatch...could you get me a set? Its the ones that glow a really nice light blue at night... Also the ones I want look very similar to the originals, sorry aint got no pics.

If you still got space in your suitcase after putting a B series in your suitcase for lonewolf... I wouldnt mind a nice stainless steel manifold for my D6 :P

Have a safe journey over bro

PS - a lot of people like tachs - Including me! So that might be an idea to get hold of some... lemme know when your around if you want to link or something.