Entire engine bay really hot

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Went up to go drive soon-to-be-my car and we noticed that the entire bay was really hot. The valve cover was burning to the touch, and you could feel the heat from a few feet away. The radiator fan was also blowing hot air, however the temp gauge was reading fine. Car is a 93 Civic DX Hatchback with a D16Y7 swap. After we drove it (some I guess hard driving) it was really hot. I would like to know some possible problems for this.

Fresh_JDM

┈━═☆FO-SHO☆
It might acutally be over heating but the temp sensor is not working properly? I reccoment changing the temp sensor and try it out again and run the OBD 2 for any codes good luck

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Unfortunately, I do not have access to an OBDII scanner. I'll try changing the thermostat. I need to learn this engine. I'm used to the D15

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your motor produces heat from the explosions in the block, it will get hot.
was it sunny outside?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, it was like 80 today. But the ENTIRE bay was hot. The fenders were warm and the chassis was hot too.

Rocky91890

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its normal...i drive home from work and my fenders and hood are hot, and i know my fan works my thermostat is brand new and really dont have any problems...it hit 84 today here and it was still warm 2 hours later

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay. It probably didn't help that we were stomping on the throttle to see what it had as its been sitting since the bodywork started. Ill keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Rocky91890

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats always a good idea. just would watch your coolent overflow and the temp gauge mainly

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know why, but on many Honda's I see that the antifreeze sometimes doesn't reenter the overflow tank. The hatch doesn't smoke at all, so the gasket should be fine, but sometimes there will be a little and then there will he more.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my 4 door would get hot like that and the outside of the hood would smoke . i thought it was overheating but it wasnt, it was just hot i guess

Rocky91890

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
try to ask ronj for a 100% for sure answer...hes the best person to ask on most things

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah. I guess. My 4dr never did that because I only had it during the cold months. When I take it home on Friday, ill take a good look at it. I noticed the valve cover gasket took a dumb, leaking from the front a little so that's the first one to get replaced.