EP3 (2005 civic si) Electronic Power Steering into a ek hatch?

mikhsoj

5+ Year Member
someone mentioned to me a long time ago that they somehow swapped in the EPS (Electronic Power Steering) into the 6th gen civics. wondering if this can be done and how? i have the parts laying around in my garage and all i really need is the "how to" if there is any.

killer_siller

my real car is a toyota
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if it does swap over, i'd be TERRIBLY surprised. in fact, i'd go so far as to say i'd put money against it.

there's quite a bit involved in the EPS, but the biggest hurdle i could see is that the steering rack on the EP3 is mounted high on the firewall and acts on the struts rather than low on the subframe acting on the knuckles. i believe the EPS also has involvement with the steering column, but to what degree i can't say. most other EPS systems involve hall effect or some kind of optical sensor on the column, but honda could just as easily have put this in the rack.

i'm also not so certain about the electronic level of involvement of the system. i doubt its a completely self-contained, or even completely electrical system.

best bet: go to a junker, pull an EG/EK subframe, or both, and start doing it.

mikhsoj

5+ Year Member
ok in that case forget it. will the steering column or at least the steering wheel swap over onto a ek hatch? i figure it would since its just the steering wheel.