Equalizer/booster for 98 civic factory radio

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
Is it possible to wire aftermarket equalizer/boosters like those from pyramid audio to the factory radio?
I was hoping I could improve sound quality of the 1998 civic lx factory radio without replacing factory head unit. I'm planning to mount the equalizer in the space originally reserved for the optional cd player for the 98 lx.

I found some related links and was thinking its possible to integrate the equalizer wiring to the original factory radio harness, If someone has already done this, would appreciate info on how its done and what after market harnesses must I use.. Thanks

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/PDF/466013.pdf

http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/manuals/403G.PDF

pls

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i don't think so. if the stock stereo have RCA input/output, then yes it will work. if you want to use a eq, you'll need a amp as will.

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
i see. i just thought those eqs with built in internal amplifiers could work if i could determine and label all those wires coming out of the factory radio harness and match it with the eqs wirings.

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
I just gave pyramid as an example but im not particular with any brand as long as its"inexpensive".
btw, I found a RCA input converter from ebay I'm just not sure if it will work:

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
upgrade the headunit
:word:

Why don't you want to switch to an aftermarket head unit? If it's looks, just use the CD player spot and have two head units wired, with only the aftermarket one going to the speakers. Seems like that'd be simpler, cheaper, AND give you better sound quality.

Manderson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is it possible to wire aftermarket equalizer/boosters like those from pyramid audio to the factory radio?
that would depend on the eq...passive or active? either way im with everyone. just change the head unit. you are going to have a hell of a lot of wire splicing to do for a minimal ammount of quality.

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
i think id go for a new head unit on the cd player spot so i wont have to hide my oem head unit.