ES Master Bushing Set

georgelb

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Who has installed these? What a pain in the ass they are.

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do a search, there is at least one good thread on stuff regarding the bushing set.

however, i do plan on doing the ES hyper flex bushing set within the next few months when i do my springs/shocks, etc.

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I installed the front end kit on my car. You're right, it is a pain in the ass but it's for the greater good right? lol

Civicdreams

Get Ready 2 Get Merked
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey how much do you guys think the set is to get installed?

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd recommend doing it yourself, just bring the parts that need to be pressed to a shop and let them do that part, everything else is easy.

georgelb

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To get the master bushing set put in you are looking at about 10 or so hours labor at a shop...much more at home with a torch. And I wasn't looking for a thread...just stating that it is a pain in the ass.

So far I have the swaybar bushings, endlinks, front/rear damper shaft bushings, front/rear upper spring isolators, steering gearbox bushings, shift stabilizer bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, and the rear bushings on the front lower control arms installed. All are the black graphite impregnated ones. I am halfway done burning/cutting the O.E. ones out of the front lower arms, then all I have left are the bushings in my SPC front camber arms. The only thing I have had a shop do is press in the rear trailing arm bushings once I had the old ones out and the shell polished.

Very labor intensive, but very satisfying to do it yourself too.

few pics of the fun so far.

the rear trailing arm took the most time

bottom pin was not polished yet

I also had some trouble with the front lower ball joint...so I ordered a knock off of the Honda tool for $14...saving $135 on the $150 HG one.

You get what you pay for though...it ripped the boot and broke

I finally got it apart though and the bushings in the front lower arm were shot

On the steering rack I actually had to get inside and disconnect this joint to get it to drop down far enough to get the old ones out.

there are more but I have wasted enough bandwidth. lol

These things are a b***h though...they better be worth it.

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ooh.. my bad dude.. i misuderstood/misread what you were sayin. in that case.. good luck! lol.

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
More pictures.. and with a write up please.

P0gKai

B20VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Didn't know that those were hard to install, I thought it was bolt-on.

Civicdreams

Get Ready 2 Get Merked
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bushings are bitches. How long would it take me. I wouldnt be able to use my car for I caouple days if I was working on it.

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It took me about 4 hours to do the front kit without a press. Burning out the old bushings stunk up the shop pretty good though, lol.

Civicdreams

Get Ready 2 Get Merked
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats hilarious i hate the smell of burning rubber. like s**t lol
Man I want the complete bushing kit in my coupe so bad but I dont know if I have the time to do it.

georgelb

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
me, a pimp? haha...I needed that.

anywho, hey Spency :hi:

And those fumes do indeed suck much ass...that is why I use this.

If you do not have time...then do not attempt a master bushing set. I ran into a few snags, so it took longer than expected. I have not really been in a big hurry to get it all done because I have a couple cars I can borrow to get around where I need to go, and I went out of town for a bit too...but my car has been on stands for a couple weeks.

Doing it straight through with no snags I would say the rear (trailing arm bushings, shock bushings, upper spring isolators) takes about 4 hours if you know what you are doing on disassembly/reassembly. Getting everything off is no big deal, but it does take awhile to burn out the trailing arm bushings and then polish the shell and pin.

I would say the front (upper/lower control arm bushings, swaybar bushings, endlinks, steering box bushings, shock bushings, upper spring isolators) done straight through with no snags takes about 5-6 hours. Again, burning out the old ones and cutting out the shells if you do not have a press takes time.

I did not really take how-to pictures on most of it. I do have the front torn apart since the lower arms are off though, so I might take some more and see if I can get a how-to together.

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn I wish I had your patience for that, I thought I was doing good to put my short shifter in! I'll probably even pay a shop to do my b16 swap here soon.

solostsracer

Crazy CONE MASHER!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have the patience and tools it's definitely DOABLE. I didn't have the time since I have a race every weekend and only have one car to get to work. So my sponsor did it for me. Took them 12-16 hours and at $60/hour I couldn't imagine paying that!

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have half the set installed so far. I got one of the mechanics at my shop to do them. He did the complete front set in about 2 and half hours! (he's our best)