ex vs. hx???

igor_adz

hxrider98
5+ Year Member
i got a 98 hx, i raced an ex from dead stop, both cars are 5 speed... he beat me all the times that we raced... my shifts were good but he pulled a little bit more than my car.... are the entire engines different or is it the trans or the head?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should search. you'll find your answer and much more detail if you do

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there's a damn tab at the top of the site that says honda civic specs....click and read

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah man the engines are different. HX D16y5 1.6 16valve SOHC Vtec-E: 115horsepower/104 torque... EX D16y8 1.6 16valve SOHC Vtec: 127horsepower/107 torque.... Both cars have Vtec but the system found in the HX is there for Fuel Efficiency and not performance.

igor_adz

hxrider98
5+ Year Member
well yeah i no the specs of both cars, but would it make a difference if i put the ex head on to my hx block?

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
Nah the ex isn't that much faster. I had a 1998 HX with intake and header and I vs a 1995 EX with air intake and full exhaust. When we launch he launch first and got like half a car and and then I caught up by first shift to second start pulling away near the end of second he caught back but shift and I kept going in second and pulled away and shifted into third and keep on pulling away. The reason why he shift early is because the Ex gear ratio is 1st 40 2nd 60 and the Hx gear ratio is 1st 40 2nd 70 and I got the advantage because I didn't have to shift early but he caught up there because he has a shorter gear ratio reaching his peak hp quicker but the moment he had to shift it was a different story. lol and it was for fuel efficient. HX is that bad it pretty good when compared to the ex.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the EX has shorter gears which helped him pull on you in addition to having more power and torque.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think HX's have CVT transmissions, which are really expensive to replace. So I wouldn't race anymore.

juanca_

5+ Year Member
I have a friend with a 2000 ex and he beat by like a length. If I buy the vtec controller will it help at all or should I change the head??

igor_adz

hxrider98
5+ Year Member
well im wondering the same thing as you... i want to get a better cam but im not sure if the valves and all the other valve train things are the same... well i dont have the white rims anymore, i got the stock hx wheels and my car is a manual so i dont have to worry about changing the tranny...

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh cool. Just because I have an auto doesn't mean that everyone else has it hahahahaha.

psychotic_civic

dont buy a dang vtec controller thats just gay....do a swap. your tranny isnt that great so you will need the EX or SI tranny and to get more power just swap in a z6 or JDM D15B vtec then yall will be the same