Exhaust buzzing/metal sound (video and picture in 4th post)

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It looks like they removed the little heatshield that was on the pipe before the cat. Is that going to affect anything?

Vetch civic boy

Hey guys so I've had this really annoying metal squeak coming from the exhaust if the car bucked a bit or when shifting gears. Started when intermidate pipe was replaced a year ago and along with it a new sturdier aftermarket exhaust hanger from autozone was put in. All stock exhaust btw

I kept the original Honda one with the "up" indicator on it. For a while I wondered if that somehow caused the noise I was hearing.

So yesterday during an oil change I decided for fun to swap it out with the original, and to my surprise the noise is gone. But I don't understand why that'd be? It's just a rubber hanger
It could be ur heat shield hitting ur pip where about a foot or 2 from where the catalytic converter is if u bend that back some where it's farther from the piping then it should stop. Tighten all your bolts and the take your hand go across the pipe to make sure it's not hitting anywhere

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It looks like they removed the little heatshield that was on the pipe before the cat. Is that going to affect anything?
It shouldn't, but that honestly could have been the source of the rattle to begin with.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It shouldn't, but that honestly could have been the source of the rattle to begin with.
No it was definitely the spring bolts because one was just dangling and moving around. I tied it in place before hitting a muffler shop and it had lessened the noise a good amount

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lessons learned.