Exhaust for 7th gen

Kyle Jilbert

I want to order an exhaust for my 01 LX sedan, but after being under the car I noticed the exhaust is one long pipe all the way until the cat/header? Is this the same for all 7th gens? On most cars I've been under there's the muffler bolted to the mid pipe and then bolted to the downpipe then headers but mine is just all one piece.

If i ordered an eBay catback (don't try and convince me not to) would It have all the pipes up until the headers? Or would I need to have an exhaust shop weld it on the bottom of the downpipe. Pics show 3 separate sections of piping but i don't know if these will reach all the way to the headers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
They should line up from the headers on (as long as you order a FULL exhaust, and not just an axel back exhaust). I'm not going to try to convince you not to buy eBay exhaust (since I've bought a lot of parts for my car from there), just going to point out that the sound you are looking for is probably not going to be the one give by an eBay exhaust. Good luck.

dancam

Registered VIP
D17's have 2 separate styles of exhaust. From your (confusing to me) description i dont know what you have. Look up what the 2 different ones are and youll figure it out.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just like the 6th gen, the Ex model has a different kind of setup compared to the Dx/Lx setups.
Most aftermarket exhaust you find will be for the Ex model,as it has the more common exhaust setup, with an exhaust manifold (header) coming off the motor, going down to another pipe which goes under the motor, connected to a catalytic converter, then to the mid pipe/resonator, then to the rear muffler section.

The lower models are not designed that way, they have the manifold coming off the motor, right to the cat converter.
If you order a cat back exhaust, you will need an Ex header/manifold , down pipe and catalytic converter, then buy an O2 sensor extender because the O2 bung is located in a different location.

There are pics better explaining it here...
http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23607

Good luck.

Kyle Jilbert

Just like the 6th gen, the Ex model has a different kind of setup compared to the Dx/Lx setups.
Most aftermarket exhaust you find will be for the Ex model,as it has the more common exhaust setup, with an exhaust manifold (header) coming off the motor, going down to another pipe which goes under the motor, connected to a catalytic converter, then to the mid pipe/resonator, then to the rear muffler section.

The lower models are not designed that way, they have the manifold coming off the motor, right to the cat converter.
If you order a cat back exhaust, you will need an Ex header/manifold , down pipe and catalytic converter, then buy an O2 sensor extender because the O2 bung is located in a different location.

There are pics better explaining it here...
http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23607

Good luck.
If I found a catback specifically for the LX and DX tho I should be fine tho right

I know the ex has the cat after the headers and DX/lx the car is right there in the manifold
But the exhaust on my car is one pipe all welded together up until the headers/cat and I didn't know f this is the same for all dx/lx models. it just seemed weird to me because all other cars exhausts I've seen/worked on have the exhaust has been a few pipes bolted together

This also makes it impossible to just get an axle back without getting it welded on
So just mostly if this is the same for all dx and lx exhausts since it seemed weird to me

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But the exhaust on my car is one pipe all welded together up until the headers/cat and I didn't know f this is the same for all dx/lx models.
Take a second and think about it.
Why would they put an exhaust on from the factory that would need to be torched out?
Someone has made their own exhaust for your car at one point or another.
It should be as described above for all 01-05 NON Ex models.

Last edited:

Kyle Jilbert

Take a second and think about it.
Why would they put an exhaust on from the factory that would need to be torched out?
Someone has made their own exhaust for your car at one point or another.
It should be as described above for all 01-05 NON Ex models.
Yeah, that's what I figured.
But I should be good to order a full catback, because that's supposed to bolt to the bottom of the headers, below the cat, right?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But I should be good to order a full catback, because that's supposed to bolt to the bottom of the headers, below the cat, right?
It depends on the type of HEADER/manifold and cat converter configuration you have.
If you pop your hood, look at the motor, can the catalytic converter be seen, does it bolt right to the manifold coming off the motor?

Kyle Jilbert

It depends on the type of HEADER/manifold and cat converter configuration you have.
If you pop your hood, look at the motor, can the catalytic converter be seen, does it bolt right to the manifold coming off the motor?
Yeah it's the regular LX/DX headers/cat with the cat incorporated into the exhaust manifold
But the exhaust I'm looking at says it's for an LX/dx and I've contacted the seller multiple times making sure it'll fit an LX

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah it's the regular LX/DX headers/cat with the cat incorporated into the exhaust manifold
But the exhaust I'm looking at says it's for an LX/dx and I've contacted the seller multiple times making sure it'll fit an LX
I'd need to see it to believe it.

dancam

Registered VIP
You just have to stop being so worried and order it. You said the listing is for dx and lx and they have confirmed that. If you get it and its not they have to refund you as they sent you the wrong part. In the unlikely event that they wont ebay itself will. So dont worry about that. Just ensure your car has the stock setup where you plan to bolt it to.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You just have to stop being so worried and order it. You said the listing is for dx and lx and they have confirmed that.
Right, the ad is VERY specific, and it mentions NOTHING about it fitting EX models, so i wouldn't worry about it at all.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You would be better off going to an exhaust shop and have them custom make a new one with a GOOD name brand muffler of your choosing. That cheap chinese ebay one is junk, been there done that. Mine lasted a short period of time before blowing the insides out on the freeway one day. I regretted going with the ebay cheap junk from the moment I tried to install it. Your money and time though.

Why not just change out the muffler? Is the piping on your car all rotted out? Just curious why you would cheap out unless desperate to get the car fixed if it is that bad off currently.