Exhaust Rattle!!! Very annoying!!!

SilverVic

Back in March I bought a 2000 ej8. It came with a ebay header and needed a cat. So I bought a high flow cat and put it and the header on. Every since I have had this rattle noise. It only happens between 2k - 3k Rpms when Im on the gas. So I took off the heat shield's hoping that would fix it. Nope didnt fix it. So I try to make sure everything was extra tight and got to looking and it looks like the header and cat dont meet up like the old cat and old stock manifold did. So i tried to make sure that it wass all tightened down right and its pretty damn snug I cant turn the bolts anymore. Took it out for test drive and it seemed to not be as bad as before till it got hot. Then it started again with the rattle. Also the header came with a foil looking donut gasket. Can anyone explain to me why this is happening or what is causing it. It wouldnt bother me so much if people didnt tell me they could hear it but they can and I know everytime I take off people are laughing at the shitty sound it make's.

CO671

Registered VIP
The gasket that came with the header was probably for its contact to the catalytic converter.

Is the rattle coming from the bottom, front or rear? Is it coming from OUTSIDE of the piping, or INSIDE the piping. Civic's tend to have a rattly sound within the piping with cheap parts... I just gutted my stock cat today and I noticed a rattling sound which is coming not from the piping rubbing or anything, but just the inside of the piping itself, there's no more honeycombs it's all free flow.. It could be your catalytic converter or most likely your header ... Plus ebay headers are commonly known to crack quickly.

Jose1027

Registered VIP
I had the same problem,did your header come with 2 oxygen sensor holes right?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

SilverVic

Ya it has 2 o2 holes . But I only have 1 o2 in the header the other one behind cat with a 90 degree o2 adapter . But I have only had the adapter on for few weeks . Had rattle before installed it .

I had the same problem,did your header come with 2 oxygen sensor holes right?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

SilverVic

Ya the gasket is on the header . But ive never seen a foil donut gasket before . Its coming from right under dash/console area . Cant tell if its in or out of the piping . And my cat is brand new and so is header . The car has only seen 2,709 miles since I got it . So the header has only seen like 2k miles. And I dont rag on my car's either . So unless if they crack just cruising to the local store I just dont see that happening . Plus it has been happening since I installed the Header and Cat .

The gasket that came with the header was probably for its contact to the catalytic converter.

Is the rattle coming from the bottom, front or rear? Is it coming from OUTSIDE of the piping, or INSIDE the piping. Civic's tend to have a rattly sound within the piping with cheap parts... I just gutted my stock cat today and I noticed a rattling sound which is coming not from the piping rubbing or anything, but just the inside of the piping itself, there's no more honeycombs it's all free flow.. It could be your catalytic converter or most likely your header ... Plus ebay headers are commonly known to crack quickly.

CO671

Registered VIP
Rattle only happens when driving, not idling? How about revving 2-3 at idle?
Is the shift linkage rubbing at all?

MrGonzo123

Rattling noise

Same here.. My high flow bong cover rattles.. You have to get some of that adhesive tape for the screw. Problem solved=)