5+ Year Member
CLIFFS:
failed nj inspection because P 0135 an P 0141
no cat on car
dont want to use current ghetto /garbage setup
whats a good after market setup?
what are my options
have you had any trouble w/ a legit sticker acquired by..other means lol

sup all. so heres the deal. I have the crappiest exhaust setup ever on my car. ( bought it like that) bought car in FL moved to NJ where they do the wonderful inspections:evil: now From what i can see my exhaust goes from header right into 3 different pieces of welded on piping into a loud ass muffler. No cat.
will get pics up soon

so of course i fail with CEL codes P 0135 an P 0141. no surprise.
Now i want to get a new exhaust because I just want to do it right the first time. Depending on the difficulty ill install myself ( most ive done is replace valve cover& spark plug gaskets) or take it to a shop. What would you rate this job from a 1-10?

SO my question is do any of my fellow nj members know of some exhaust setups i could use that would also eliminate the CEL? like could i not run a cat but install one of these http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-70_129/product-1032/index.html and pass? Ive searched but I havent found any definite answers. I dont really care about sound just as long as it isnt too loud. lay it on meh

Decipher

Registered VIP
If you're planning on doing it yourself, that's going to limit you to cheaper "bolt-on" exhausts, unless you have the ability to weld. Most of the more quality exhaust systems are sold in a cat-back configuration which requires that it be fabricated onto the existing system.

Best thing to do would be buy a nice muffler, high-flow cat, and header, take it to a shop and let them do the rest.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Shouldn't. Just make sure when you're shopping that the parts are compatible with your vehicle and have O2 bungs where they need to be.

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok thanks ill look into that. my existing piping looks horrid tho. ill up a vid in a few

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why did you even bother going in with a CEL? That will automatically fail you, lol. And you will fail without a cat.

They don't care how loud it is as long as you have a cat. Buy a cheap setup (header, testpipe, midpipe, axleback) replace the test pipe with a cat and put the CEL eliminator and you'll pass. Then if you want, you can take it out after you pass.

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why did you even bother going in with a CEL? That will automatically fail you, lol. And you will fail without a cat.

They don't care how loud it is as long as you have a cat. Buy a cheap setup (header, testpipe, midpipe, axleback) replace the test pipe with a high flow cat and put the CEL eliminator and you'll pass. Then if you want, you can take it out after you pass.
lol thats the thing i didnt know i had a CEL because the sneaky assholes i bought the car from took the bulb out from the cluster. kinda my fault too. i was young,dumb and desperate lmao

Decipher

Registered VIP
is that a horse in the background on that video? Where the f**k in New Jersey are you?

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lmao! yep that was a horse. im in the freakin boonies. new egypt. i know , i know youve never heard of it lol.

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ill like nj alot more once i get this crap straightened out :lol: jesus i kinda wish i just kept my FL license and tags!

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so another issue. i dont have ANY o2 sensors on my car. i thought the header I have was oem but it really isnt. so even if i get a new hearder, midpipe , test pipe, muffler. ill still need @ least the primary o2 sensor that goes into the header. also some clarification on the CEL eliminator i know it goes into the test pipe or cat, whichever one I end up using but does the secondary sensor connect TO the cel eliminator or does the tool REPLACE the sensor entirely?

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Make sure the header and the cat converter has an o2 bung. You will not pass with a test pipe and you can only use either that or the cat converter not both.

ok so another issue. i dont have ANY o2 sensors on my car. i thought the header I have was oem but it really isnt. so even if i get a new hearder, midpipe , test pipe, muffler. ill still need @ least the primary o2 sensor that goes into the header. also some clarification on the CEL eliminator i know it goes into the test pipe or cat, whichever one I end up using but does the secondary sensor connect TO the cel eliminator or does the tool REPLACE the sensor entirely?
Put both. and yes after you put the cel eliminator, you have to plug the second sensor into that.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Eeeeeeeeeek. Someone needs new exhaust.

Get a high-flow cat like everyone is saying. Or even go stock. I have to rock stock because I have Buddy Club and that s**t is almost too loud WITH a stock catalytic converter, stock header and resonator.