experience's with exedy stage 2 clutch and 8lb fidanza fw..

infam0us3o5

low n slow.
5+ Year Member
clutch started slipping horribly the other day, and im making a long road trip across fla in about a week, so i figured now would be a good time to replace it...

so i got a sick deal on a exedy stage 2 clutch and fidanza 8lb flywheel...(before you start flaming, i did some searching and i didnt find anything on personal experiences with this setup, if there was something and i missed it, my bad. im lazy .)

ok, so to everyone who has driven a civic with this setup or something similar, did you like it? lol.

this thread is kina out-there, i know.. but im curious, i've never driven a car with an upgraded clutch/fw :oops: lol

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dunno about the clutch but i have a 7lb fidanza fly and i have no problems with it.

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I hear of issues with light flywheels, but nothing horrible. Just trouble getting going up hills.
B

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have one of the 7.5 lb Fidanza flywheels and they really aren't that bad, your car will not coast as far but the increase in rev speed is amazing, especially if everything else is lightened and extraneous weight is stripped from the rotating assembly or head and accesories. I love mine, no problems, and don't let people tell you to get a different one b/c they just think they won't be streetable but in reality, they usually haven't even driven cars with them in it. They drive fine and rev much faster, no downfalls since mine or any other person I've ever seen.

Sep'sgreenCivic

5+ Year Member
my buddy has a the same thing you are going to get and he loves it, but the only thing is the flywheel is so light that sometime it does what to turn the engine so the car kinda boggs and starts to die, but other than that great setup

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I drove a 97 celica GT with an excedy clutch s**t was chirping 5th gear when your power shifting, s**t ran like a champ until the homie f**ked up his tranny

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my brother has a exedy stg 2 in his b series. and an act flywheel. it bites hard and still drivable. good choice i need one too. where did you find this good deal?

infam0us3o5

low n slow.
5+ Year Member
trueee haha looks like i made a good choice then! thanks for the input guys, cant wait to get this stuff put in hopefully by the end of the week

where did you find this good deal?
a buddy of mine is in the performance shop business..300 for the clutch and 150 for the flywheel.
i found some decent prices online though, just search around

infam0us3o5

low n slow.
5+ Year Member
ok, just got the fw and clutch put in (btw they ordered me a stage 3 instead of a stage 2 for the same price hahaa)...clutch throw feels amazing, but when im taking off slowly out of first it seems like theres a violent shaking no matter what i do, is this just a temporary thing until the clutch breaks in or am i stuck

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
my buddy had a stage 3 clutch and flywheel and you barely had to press the clutch in
it was awesome

lilwhitecoupe

Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, just got the fw and clutch put in (btw they ordered me a stage 3 instead of a stage 2 for the same price hahaa)...clutch throw feels amazing, but when im taking off slowly out of first it seems like theres a violent shaking no matter what i do, is this just a temporary thing until the clutch breaks in or am i stuck
i got the shaking thing in my car when i first got it, try giving it more gas. i think it has to do with your timing but im not 100% sure.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i got the shaking thing in my car when i first got it, try giving it more gas. i think it has to do with your timing but im not 100% sure.
i agree its probably timing
the shaking is cause the car is about to shut down cause of bad timing

infam0us3o5

low n slow.
5+ Year Member
its def. not the timing bc i had the water pump and timing belt done at the same time as the clutch and fw lol...i feel like im learning to drive stick all over again lol.. people have told me that its normal when u get a new clutch until you break it in, im going to call the mechanic and see what he says though.

infam0us3o5

low n slow.
5+ Year Member
oh. my bad...you should of specified that lol...well i guess thats probably it being that im used to the stock clutch

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i bought a b series swap and it has a exedy stage 2 clutch, unsure on the flywheel but im sure its lightened as the engine revs pretty damn quick from what im used to. When i first got in it, it was f**king weird, i looked like a noob driver again lol. The clutch engauges really far off the ground, it was weird at first but im starting to get usd to it. i can shift smoothly (no jerking) usually. It acts weird when the car is cold though (bites harder or somethign, or i have to relearn the technique after driving around for a little bit, not sure). It bites hard (i can chirp 4th on an untuned ls/vtec setup, its really f**king slow right now). take it easy for the first 500 miles or so to break it in, dont launch it or anything. i've been dumping it at 5500 off the 2 step for a couple days and it loves it (and wheel spin isnt bad because of my quaife). i deffinetly would reccomend an exedy stage 2 clutch (its really only necessary if your making alot of power that the stock clutch wouldnt be able to handle).

I also love how i can jump into any car with an oem or stage 1 clutch and drive it like i've had the car for a year because those are so much easier to drive (havnt actually driven a stage 1 but im assuming it would be the same deal as with an oem one).

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Were your plans to go turbo, b/c I believe you made the wrong choice of actually buying the stage 3, The violent shaking you feel is clutch chatter, especially if you bought an unsprung clutch disc, the shaking is there to stay. You should have gotten the stage 1 clutch if you are not going turbo. It still will handle 243 ft. pounds of torque which frankly, a turbo setup would not make unless you have have built the motor. So, your car is less driveable, and the clutch life is shorter on the stage 3 than the stage 1. I would have gotten the stage 2 unless you race hardcore, a lot, and make a s**t ton of power, but I'm willing to say, your not, but good luck with that.

infam0us3o5

low n slow.
5+ Year Member
Were your plans to go turbo, b/c I believe you made the wrong choice of actually buying the stage 3, The violent shaking you feel is clutch chatter, especially if you bought an unsprung clutch disc, the shaking is there to stay. You should have gotten the stage 1 clutch if you are not going turbo. It still will handle 243 ft. pounds of torque which frankly, a turbo setup would not make unless you have have built the motor. So, your car is less driveable, and the clutch life is shorter on the stage 3 than the stage 1. I would have gotten the stage 2 unless you race hardcore, a lot, and make a s**t ton of power, but I'm willing to say, your not, but good luck with that.
yeah, as i said in the post you quoted me on, THEY SENT ME A STAGE 3 INSTEAD OF A STAGE 2. i ordered a stage 2 for the hell of it bc they gave me the same price on a stage one so i said screw it why not and they ended up sending me a stage 3 for the price of a stage 2..they never caught their mistake.... the clutch is sprung so im thinking it will go away after a few hundred miles, hopefuly lol, the shaking only happens every other time i start driving from a stop.