Exterior (and Interior) Detailing Questions - Answered Here

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
I will be posting a write-up soon, but in the mean time I figured I would start a thread for those people who may have questions about products or procedures.

My Uncle has been doing mobile auto detailing as one of his own businesses for over twenty-one years supporting a family of 5 quite well. I'm 28 and have been working with him for just three and have been picking up a lot of tricks of the trade and enjoy passing them along. A lot of the cars we do consist of Audi's, Mercede's, Porsche, Lamborghini's, and of course the non-high-end vehicles like a Suburban, Outback, or Caravan.

The jobs we do consist of interior, exterior, or full. We hand-wash the vehicle, clean the rims with an acid, dry it with shop vac's and shamy, clean the door jams, vacuum the interior, wipe down the interior, condition the leather, wax & buff the outside with buffer, clean the glass, and apply tire dressing. Literally everything except under the hood (for insurance reasons we don't mess under the hood as there are a lot of electronics... Though if the Client requests it, we can perform the service.

So feel free to ask any questions about something you plan on doing if you aren't sure and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Cheers.

Last edited:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sweet! I'm looking forward to learning more from this thread :thumbs up

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i use to do auto detailing as well
acid isn't good for all wheel finishes..it sure gets the job of cleaning the wheels done quick though, just a simple spray on and wash off in most cases.
i hated getting sand of animal hair out of carpet :thumbdown:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Animal hair is the worst! If its in the seats it's like porcupine spines, it buries itself deeper into the fabric.

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
Correct. Acid isn't for all rims. And yeah, I used to hate animal hair removal but we use a stone. Its really coarse and removes it in a couple swipes. just take a vacuum to the hair you lift with it and voila.

A lot of the time, just taking a spare tooth brush and small painters brush with a shop vacuum to your seats (all interior really) gets everything. Be sure to spread the seems of your seat apart gently and rub the toothbrush through it. Afterwards, do the same thing but when its spread, run the vac through.

By the way, the acid also works real well on chrome emblems after washing the car. Spray it on, dig in there with your tooth brush, and then rinse. With the acid, whether its rims or emblems, you don't want to let it sit long. No longer than a couple minutes. It won't eat the clear coat or body paint if you just work diligently and quickly but if you forget about it and it dries up, it will be a problem.

Best to use a dirty wash mit and the acid on the rims. Don't put your hand in it, just guide it inside the wheel well all along the surface getting around the brake calipers. Rinse. Now do the face of the rims.

If the rims aren't chrome and are painted, just use an industrial cleaner. Spray and use the same method getting all the brake dust and grime.

As for sand... Yeah, that's a [edit] to get rid of lol. No simple solution, just run that shop vac over and over and over =P

Posted from Clubcivic.com App for Android

Last edited by a moderator: