exterior door seal/molding (repair/replace)

venger

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not sure what the best name is for this part (when discussing it or searching for it). I'ts basically the molding at the bottom of the window on the exterior of the door.

Mine has faded and started to crack from the sun. Honda wants $80 each for these, but before I do that and deal with replacing it, is there something I could use to basically "restore" it? It seems to be more than just painted metal. The moldings on both doors are still fine as far as functionality is concerned.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
are these the plastic moldings you're talking about? mine were really, really faded. use black shoe polish, just rub tons of it on there, then wipe it off. works great. not sure how long it lasts, maybe a long time, i did it two weeks ago and it's gone through two washes and still looks black.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, black shoe polish. try it. mine were even whiter and now they look almost perfect (color wise).

you may want to tape off, but to my knowledge it should come off of the paint and windows.

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ill have to try this, i was ready to tape and paint, good thing i saw this thread

Mr. EeeKaY

Does ur mom know ur gay?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Reviving the thread..

Does anyone know if the part of the molding against the window is suppose to stop water from coming in the door? I'm getting water on my speakers and their connections whenever I wash or it rains. Would buying new moldings help?

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes that moulding is supposed to stop water,
It's not really going to stop water. It deters it. There are usually holes on the bottom of doors for this reason. As well as the electrical connections located on the inside of the door but behind the door card. If you have taken the stock speakers out to replace, you will notice there is a plastic piece that shields it. Most of the time the plastic piece is cut out to make an aftermarket speaker fit.

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice, try it and tell us how it goes.
i know this is months late, but i tried the black shoe polish on the moldings and it worked great! still looks the same as after i polished them a few months ago