Extremely difficult to start after driving...

reichbc

"Brandon"
99 Civic Si.
AEM intake, DC headers. Everything else is pretty much stock.

My problem is this. I can go out to my car for the first time in the day and start it up just fine. If I go 10 minutes down the road to grab something from the store, I come back out 2-5 minutes later, attempt to start, and it just cranks and cranks. No start. Eventually it starts, but that's after waiting an extra minute or so and trying again, sometimes I get lucky and it fires up. More often than not, I have to sit and wait 5 minutes or so for it to do whatever it does to allow me to start it, but even then that's after excessive cranking.

It cranks strong. Battery's good. No rust anywhere. No loose grounds. Checked the ignition system components and there's no damage or evidence of foul play due to critters.

Did some searching through the forums, but I didn't see a thread that specifically nailed this problem. Any ideas, gentlemen?

(Side note, if anyone knows a good source for engine rebuild info, I'd love it if you could link me. I can't find very much that's credible.)

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
from what you described I can only think of a few things:

loose or fouled ground connection
the magneto in the starter is going bad

other then that the issues get a little more vague... it could be any multitude of mechanical, fuel or spark issues.

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
it wouldn't be a bad idea to stop by an autozone and have them test your starting system.

emerican

Registered VIP

other then that the issues get a little more vague... it could be any multitude of mechanical, fuel or spark issues.
agree

reichbc

"Brandon"

I know... I can't really get any more specific because I can't explain explain it any better than that.

Every ground in the engine bay was tightened not long ago, so I don't know which one it would be.
As for a bad magneto... what does that control? The starter cranks strong as ever. It doesn't sound weak at all.