Factory shift light??

Hey guys so I have been looking at civics on youtube and have come across a couple of videos of guys pulling thru the gears and I have noticed what looks like a factory shift light coming on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pM5Gqm5iNc&feature=related Is this the case? Is it factory? I haven't noticed one in my 98 2dr ex. Maybe I haven't been looking, or maybe is it only for a certain year and model? It would really help my fiancée learn to drive a manual if she knew when to shift, without me buying and massive tac. Let me know if you guys know about this.

Really?? No know of this?? I can't even find it in "The Bible". Am I just crazy??

Ferio Vi-RS

I Heart BoA!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats the check engine light. On some chipped ecu's they have it programed in to work as a shift light.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have one on my 96 civic hx coupe and it is really annoying. even if your in fifth gear and cruising it will come on sometimes its really annoying. i dont know if your car has it wired in but mine didnt work when i got the car then it randomly started working one day. also i know if i use a gauge cluster with a cruise control light( i dont have cruise control) it works as my shift light

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
there are no OEM shift lights for our USDM civics. if there was it probably wouldnt be on the HX, which is pretty much the base model civic. someone correct me if im wrong.

if your positive you dont have a chipped ecu you might want to consider taking a look at the cluster from behind, you may have faulty wiring. or your little green arrow is your turn signal... :what:

Last edited:

Zhu960

5+ Year Member
Meh, give the guy a chance. Maybe he really does have some rare shift light no one knew about. I say post a video of it and let the masses decide.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the light in the video is in the tuning software (crome, hondata, etc..) But hx cars also had a 'up-shift' light for economy reasons.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thanks for clarification traction

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
that's because the HX trim wasn't the base model (CXs and DXs were), but rather the fuel economy model... D16Y5 VTEC-E engine. the automatic models had CVT transmissions in them. however, these engines have similar potential to the D16Y8