Facts bout h22's

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
with soooo much crap floating around bout H22's, what are the truths...
here's what I've heard.
- closed deck H22's are better than open deck H22's
- the frm sleeves are the weak point when boosting
- piston ring lands are the weak points while boosting
- removing the balance shafts won't hurt it
- motors don't respond well to power adders

soooo wtf are the truths bout these motors an what's complete bullshit

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there is a whole thread on hond-tech about this, i dont have the link handy though.

The rundown on your specific questions though.

- closed deck H22's are better than open deck H22's ---- truth
- the frm sleeves are the weak point when boosting ---- truth
- piston ring lands are the weak points while boosting ---- truth for ANY honda motor with stock pistons
- removing the balance shafts won't hurt it ---- false
- motors don't respond well to power adders ---- false

EGHseries

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can remove the balance shafts and there are like 3 kits out there that will help you through it and teh power adders man depends on what you do and how you do it will tell you all and everything you will need too know and besided building mahle pistons have a line of pistons just for the frm sleeves

terd_civic

5+ Year Member
Motors don't respond well to power adders, FALSE. Good design the the reason that you can't "add" power.

mattliston

5+ Year Member
Those H motors LOVE a good header and a well designed intake

Wherever you heard they dont respond well most likely HATES the big block hondas, as Ive come to know them.

The FRM sleeves are ZERO problem if you get the correct piston rings. They do tend to warp when you are pushing well over 350whp though.

Course, an F series block is great to use in palce of an H

EGHseries

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Those H motors LOVE a good header and a well designed intake

Wherever you heard they dont respond well most likely HATES the big block hondas, as Ive come to know them.

The FRM sleeves are ZERO problem if you get the correct piston rings. They do tend to warp when you are pushing well over 350whp though.

Course, an F series block is great to use in palce of an H
THE H'S LOVES HEADERS like a hitech or simular but the frm sleeves man like i said mahle has a 11.5:1 piston that i have in my motor and i am pushing 278hp and 226 fbtq andi have over 8k miles on this motor build and there is not 1 problem so far and oh yeah and this motor is a h22a1

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
THE H'S LOVES HEADERS like a hitech or simular but the frm sleeves man like i said mahle has a 11.5:1 piston that i have in my motor and i am pushing 278hp and 226 fbtq andi have over 8k miles on this motor build and there is not 1 problem so far and oh yeah and this motor is a h22a1
OP -- this is true. It's the pretty typical H build. Mahle pistons, and boost it. You'll make 300ish WHP and it'll be reliable for a few years.

As with anything though, if you want to build a motor and make 400+ reliably you're going to end up sleeving it anyway (which veto's the FRM wall argument).

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The FRM is very very strong, it actually wears out the rings.
Balance shafts don't balance the engine they reduce engine vibration so who cares anyways about vibration in a tin can civic.
The piston ring lands are actually really f'ing weak, seen several engines with broken lands.
The really love bolt ons. I had an h2b in my eg for a while, stock h22a with bolt ons and made 215 wheel and 160tq. ran 12's easy at 108 trap speeds.

mattliston

5+ Year Member
The FRM is very very strong, it actually wears out the rings.
Balance shafts don't balance the engine they reduce engine vibration so who cares anyways about vibration in a tin can civic.
The piston ring lands are actually really f'ing weak, seen several engines with broken lands.
The really love bolt ons. I had an h2b in my eg for a while, stock h22a with bolt ons and made 215 wheel and 160tq. ran 12's easy at 108 trap speeds.

I call bullshit on 215

Me and a buddy only got 204 on a fresh rebuilt TUNED with a hytech and AEM, stock cams

done at sea level with 10% humidity and only 50-60 ambient

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I call bullshit on 215

Me and a buddy only got 204 on a fresh rebuilt TUNED with a hytech and AEM, stock cams

Is nitrous or a turbo kit consider bolt on?

mattliston

5+ Year Member
for me boltons are anything that maintain factory aspiration without having to open the motor up

some people call camshafts a bolton, but I dont

nitrous and turbo are BOTH forced induction and not boltons for a honda

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
for me boltons are anything that maintain factory aspiration without having to open the motor up

some people call camshafts a bolton, but I dont

nitrous and turbo are BOTH forced induction and not boltons for a honda
WTH. I could have sworn Jackson Racing sold bolt-on turbo or supercharger kits for Hondas. You can't call people out on claims if everyone doesn't adhere to the same definitions of modifications.

I say to keep everyone on the same page, we just make it simple and start calling it in stages.

Stage 1 CAI, headers, and exhaust
Stage 2 Cams, port and polish
Stage 3 Engine stroking kits, blue printing rebuilds
Stage 4 Turbo/Supercharger kits
Stage 5 Nitrous

I was going to add a Stage 6 for weight reduction and possibly some transmission upgrades, but those are more optional items and different from engine performance.

Then we need add suspension modification stages too, but that will be more complex, too many variables.

mattliston

5+ Year Member
I can make a bolt in FWD v8 kit

is that a bolton in the sense of it?

Literal meanings are annoying as f**k

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I can make a bolt in FWD v8 kit

is that a bolton in the sense of it?

Literal meanings are annoying as f**k
LoL. You missed the point completely.

You pretty much said that guy's claim was bullshit, because you and your buddy's rebuilt and tuned motor churned up less power than his. According to YOUR definition of bolt-ons he's not allow to have aftermarket cams. Whose to say what bolt-on is and what's not? Definitely not on the same page, so why be so hasty to call bullshit?

To rid of this confusion, I say we should just stick to my newly developed Stage modification chart. In which case you guys leaped frog him to Stage 3 even though you don't have cams. He's still at Stage 2 and making more poowwwaahhh!! :lol:

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i ask this reason for the simple fact that im a big fan of the big block motors.... and with soo much bs out there on the net, idk what to believe.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I call bullshit on 215

Well I call you a cock sucker. My engine was a jdm h22a so stock compression was 10.6:1 not the watered down 10:1 that comes over here. I got mine tuned on an s200. I built a b20/vtec that made more power than a sleeved h22. Crazy world