faded headlight

smfh907

!!Civic Lover!!
i tried looking for a post about this but cant find it. one of my oem headlight housings is fading and i was wondering how i could fix this withough buying a whole new headlight housing

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Look online for a polish kit. Local auto stores might have them for sale. My autozone has some from $30-$50 I think.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would suggest this kit if you have a drill, i would prefer corded because it doesnt die on you but cordless will work also. you can find this kit at walmart for $20 and it works super good just follow the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfsuCbxviDA

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wet sand it w 2000 grit sand paper. make sure to tape off your bumper and stuff so you dotn scratch it. then poilish and wax it. polish by hand and wax with a buffer. the only down side is that youll have to do this every 2 months or so.

isubliminall

5+ Year Member
little detailers trick this guy showed me that i do, buy mothers rim polish and use that on your headlights, rub it well...then wash it off

its like $5.99

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you need sand paper, 1500 and 2000. Also you need to buy a polish kit from autozone, kragen, and ive seen them at walmart too. then you need to sand it with 1500 horizontally, then with the 2000 (both wet sanded) vertically. Then you polish it using a drill, a high power drill, the faster the better! Polish within small portions. After its all done, you have to WAX it as well. I didnt wax mine and it faded back.So whenever you wax your car, wax the headlights. It will protect it from fogging again. Good Luck.

mikemo

5+ Year Member
just get plastic polish use it on my headlights every 2 months or so works great on sanding ,just swirl on let sit polish off, I have used toothpaste too its a polish too .

mcnabb_nfl

5+ Year Member
All you need is some toothpaste and a rag. Squirt some toothpaste directly onto the headlight, and then rub it using circular motions with the rag. The more pressure you use the better. Trust me, it works great! I did it on mine and they look brand new!!!!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
everybody is pretty much right on except all forgot one important step. after you wet sand, then polish the lens to get it clear you need to spray the lens with a high gloss clearcoat. you'll also need to do a light wet sand and buff on the clearcoat to make it crystal clear. this will protect the headlight lens for several years, rather than a couple months