failed ca smog test

onesiphorus

5+ Year Member
i just spent yerterday puting on all my old stuff back on my 93 hatch. Catalytic Converter egr valve stock intake stock Exhaust Manifold new o2 sensor plugs wires and roter cap. took it down this morning to test and of course it failed. the only thing that failed was the co @ the 15mph test. Max is 0.59 i was running at 0.69. The tech said that i am running to rich on fuel. question is just how long does it take for the computer to adjust the richness of the fuel? can i do it my self?

I have had a 421 exhaust manifold and cold air intake running on this motor for the last two years and only put 50 miles on before the test.

After i failed i found this on google and just wanted to know what you guys think?

First in order to pass smog you should get everything back to stock, even with a cold air intake your engine will most often fail.

Second run a few onces of acetone in the tank, the formula is 2-3 oz's for ten gallons of gas, run 2 tanks though using this formula and then on the day of the test add 3 oz's of 100% pure acetone to the tank and them fill up, in that order. Take the car for a drive and get it nice and hot and then go have it smogged.

Don't use "Nail polish remover acetone" You must use the 100% pure stuff, you can buy it at a parts store or hardware store, its will say "100% Acetone" on the label. The more actetone the better the emmisons but the worse the fuel mileage

I brough my 91 civic though yesterday and i got amazing numbers, less than half the allowable numbers for NOX and HC and the CO level was at 0.5. Off course i removed the cold air intake and put the stock setup back on and removed the fart can and put the stock muffler back on. Thank God for muffler clamps!!

A few years ago i thought this was a bunch of crap but i've been using actetone every year since and it works in all my older vehilces.

This car has almost 254,000 Kms on it, or 155,000 miles. The only things i've replaced were spark plugs, wires and cleaned out the throttle body and off course the stock items i mentioned above.

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL codes?

Is the ignition timing set to spec?

You definitely want the engine hot for the emissions tests.

onesiphorus

5+ Year Member
yes timing is set to spects and the cel light is why i put a new egr valve. there is no cel and everything is running well just not as much power it seems.

Also this is a d15b motor in a 93 vx hatch. could the ecu have anything to do with it?

time will tell i just spent another 50 bucks to get a two month extention on it.

pls

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did u just take the car straight to smog? i recommend to the car at least 30-1hr before you take it to the smog.

RonJ

Banned
The ECU would be the last item to consider. Have you checked whether the 2-wire ECT sensor under the distributor or the O2 sensor is working properly? Is the thermostat stuck open? Do you have an exhaust leak near the O2 sensor?

yes timing is set to spects...
Was the ignition timing checked with a timing gun and the service connector jumped? Did you use the correct marks?

German to Japan

5+ Year Member
I remember my fuel systems teacher saying not to run acetone, but you are using such a small amount I don't think it matters. Good luck getting it to pass.

onesiphorus

5+ Year Member
yes i did use a timeing gun and jumped the wires as showed, used the correct marks but it was at an idol. I will try to run up the rpm to 600 and reset.

thanks for the info.

onesiphorus

5+ Year Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ECU would be the last item to consider. Have you checked whether the 2-wire ECT sensor under the distributor or the O2 sensor is working properly? Is the thermostat stuck open? Do you have an exhaust leak near the O2 sensor?

I have a new o2 sensor, the thermostat and radior were new last year/ will check the thermostat out. what is ECT sensor? and how do you test it.

RonJ

Banned
The ECT/TW sensor measures the engine coolant temperature and sends this information to the ECU. It is located below the distributor and has a 2P connector. Here's how to test it:

onesiphorus

5+ Year Member
Thanks Ron i will check this out. I have not had any problems with engin temp sence last year.

two years ago the last time i had this cat on my car it passed. a friend tryed to use it on his d16 and it failed. he said that it just did not get hot enough to pass the co test. same problem i am having now...

after trying to find this same cat again i have found that no one will ship it to ca. and auto zone no longer carries it.

Item cannot be shipped to the following States and Zip Codes
listed below.

States: CALIFORNIA

at least i can put my header back on and all i have to do is find a supper hot cat that bolts on after the header pipe.

thanks to everyone for all there help...:lol: