Failed Smog Check

Steve94civic

5+ Year Member
Hi guys ,

I am the original owner of a 94 Honda Civic EX with the VTEC engine.
It has about 220,000 miles but I am not certain because the speedometer is broken.
I have gone to 2 different smog check places and both times it barely failed.
I'm driving around with no tags and incomplete registration.
Any suggestions on what I should do to make it pass ? I'm afraid to take it to another smog station because I think it will fail again and just be another waste of money.

--Steve

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any CELs? usually its a bad o2 that will do it.

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no details so imma say do a routine tune up. oil change, spark plugs, cap and rotor, air filter, maybe even a new cat.

onesiphorus

5+ Year Member
i feel for you. I just went through the same thing. post your stats from the test and let us see what the problem is.
i did everything, complet tune-up and still failed, being in Califorina is a b***h some times. I just put a second cat on and passed with flying colors.
good luck.

pls

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if its got 220K and has the origional cat, it is probably bad.
one of my civic has 235xxx miles w/stock cat and it still pass smog. my car his high mileage, but still runs strong

Steve94civic

5+ Year Member
I'm on the original Cat.
RonJ -- Emissions Test Failed. Everything else passed.

ASM Emission Test Results

Test 15MPH
RPM 1799

Under HC ( PPM )

Max 92
Ave 21
Meas 95 ( the smog technician highlighted this number, so I'm assuming this was the number that caused it to fail )
Everything else passed and 2 years ago when I did the smog check, it passed right away after 15 minutes.

What to do ? I haven't changed the plugs in about 30K miles...

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
one of my civic has 235xxx miles w/stock cat and it still pass smog. my car his high mileage, but still runs strong
mine had 195K and it went bad. not all cars wear equally.

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm on the original Cat.

Test 15MPH
RPM 1799

Under HC ( PPM )

Max 92
Ave 21
Meas 95 ( the smog technician highlighted this number, so I'm assuming this was the number that caused it to fail )
Everything else passed and 2 years ago when I did the smog check, it passed right away after 15 minutes.

i have the same reason for fail! gsr swap though.

HC (PPM)
Max 60
Ave 9
Meas 76

why does a 94 have a higher max than a 2000 gsr?

HC is unburned fuel. Try checking your spark plugs and are you getting a CEL? I got a code 45 which is running rich/lean. I change the spark plugs but my car got rear ended and its sitting in a body shop right now so i couldnt test it again :[

well, since the smog tech didnt fail you for having a cel, im guessing you dont have one on.

pls

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm on the original Cat.

Test 15MPH
RPM 1799

Under HC ( PPM )

Max 92
Ave 21

i believe its your cat. replace your cat. it looks like your were just shy of passing the test..

RonJ

Banned
As mentioned, you don't have any CEL codes, right?

The HC (hydrocarbons = unburned fuel) levels are just a tad too high. If you replace the spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and adjust the ignition timing, then I think that you'll pass emissions. If the cap and rotor are not too old, then it may be sufficient to simply clean the contact points with some sand paper.

Steve94civic

5+ Year Member
Ron J -- I replaced the CAT and replaced the spark plugs along with an oil change and the car passed easily.
Note: I qualified for the Consumer Assistance Program and had to make a $20 co-payment for repairs. That program is such a scam !! The program allows for up to $500 in free repairs to your car.
Get this-- The smog test repair center I was designated to have the repair work done charged $709.56 for diagnostic testing and to replace the catalytic converter !!
The government kicked in $500 and I still had to kick in $209.56 out of my own pocket.
The smog technician told me I was only getting 10% output from my old original CAT. I do not notice a difference and the car does not seem to be running any better, but at least I passed the smog test.